Discuss Computer network in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone might be able to help with this one.

I've got several computers in my house and want to set up a wireless network usingmy living room computer as a kind of hub allowing other computers to use media i.e. films and music stored on the main computer.

is there a way to do this wirelessly and if so could you give me some pointers or even a step by step gudie lol

Wireless Router required for main computer normally supplied by your isp. Wireless connections needed for every other PC/Laptop. All computers need to belong to the same workgroup. Permissions need to be set up. If all your computers are using the same version of windows it makes it easier, if you have different versions makes it more of a headache.

Internet security software may also need to be amended to allow connections between the computers.

Good luck

Chris

I have a very basic understanding of this, but I think windows media centre (which is now included with media player) sorts most of this for you. I used this to get my xbox playing files on my pc, and it works very well (much better than older versions of media player). You dont have to use media player, but I think that is the easiest way.

Bear in mind that if you are watching HD stuff, the router may struggle (or more likely just not work).
Get the 'fastest' (most bandwith) one you can. Also, make sure that the pc which has the media stored on it is physically connected to the router, ie the pc is 'plugged in' to the router, refered to as 'lan', rather than 'wlan' i think. This is important because other wise your router has to receive the file from the main pc AND send it back out again to the other pc's over 'wlan', greatly slowing it down.

There's probably a 'how to' in windows, although microsoft help is usually pretty useless.
Do a Google, there are loads of computer forums that will have the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I set a home network up with no real problems, and all seemed very straight forward.
My router is connected to my desktop (XP) via an RJ45 lead, and my laptop (windows 7) shares various folders and printers that are connected to the desktop pc.

To share folders and printers you just right click them and choose 'share', and also add all wireless pc's to the desktop firewall 'allowed list'

Simples! :cool:

Reply to Computer network in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net