Discuss Con or not?!? City and Guilds 2391 to 2394 and 2395 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

harrison2987

Hi guys,

What do you lot think the reason is for changing the city and guilds 2391 to 2394 and 2395??

From what i understand the 2391 has now been split into 2 courses and become easier to pass (2394 - Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations and 2395 - Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations).

I know it will also now include amendments aswell, but whats the point in having the 2 courses?

Is this a money maker for the powers that be, and have they made the course easier so more people will attempt it?!?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this!!

Cheers guys

Hi guys,

What do you lot think the reason is for changing the city and guilds 2391 to 2394 and 2395??

From what i understand the 2391 has now been split into 2 courses and become easier to pass (2394 - Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations and 2395 - Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations).

I know it will also now include amendments aswell, but whats the point in having the 2 courses?

Is this a money maker for the powers that be, and have they made the course easier so more people will attempt it?!?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this!!

Cheers guys
well i dont know but as i see it the old 1391 will carry more weight...

I wouldn't say it's much easier to pass, I've just sat the 2395 practical and written exams about a month ago, I found the written paper a lot tougher and tight for time than any of the 2391 papers I tried. Also the practical has faults introduced to the circuits and photographs some with various faults some with none, that all had to be correctly identified and coded
Some of the photos took a bit of thinking, also there's an online exam too. They may have split it to make more money but they certainly haven't made it any easier

How come you didn't complete the 2391 if you started it?

The practical for the 2391 had faults aswell but not the photographs. Have you done both 2394 and 2395?

I wouldn't say it's much easier to pass, I've just sat the 2395 practical and written exams about a month ago, I found the written paper a lot tougher and tight for time than any of the 2391 papers I tried. Also the practical has faults introduced to the circuits and photographs some with various faults some with none, that all had to be correctly identified and coded
Some of the photos took a bit of thinking, also there's an online exam too. They may have split it to make more money but they certainly haven't made it any easier

How come you didn't complete the 2391 if you started it?

The practical for the 2391 had faults aswell but not the photographs. Have you done both 2394 and 2395?

Well as someone who has done both the 2391 and the 2394/5 I can confirm that in my personal opinion, the latter was the hardest. If I personally had to employ someone and had to choose between two equally qualified and experienced electricians in every area, both essentially exactly the same but one with the 2391 and one with the 2394/5, I would have to lean towards choosing the one with the 2394/5 just because I know through my own experience the difference. I passed my 2391 almost straight after finishing college with a mark of 86% and even then I found it to be a breeze, I passed my 2394 and 2395 at the start of this year and I struggled with one or two on the 2395 written. I passed my 2395 with a mark of 72%, not good in my opinion. To be fair though, some of the questions are worded rather oddly. Even still, I don't believe in any way that this qual separates the wheat from the chaff, too many 5WWs out there passing them. Equally as baffling is that the pass rate is based on prior performance. Last year, the pass mark required for the 2395 written was 65%, this year it was 55%?!?!? The 2391 at the time I took it required only 50% correct answers in the exam! This to me says that even though only 30% of electricians go on to pass the 2391/2395 first time, out of that 30%, potentially they only know 50% of what they should!

Given the previously mentioned situation, two sparks, one job. If one had the 2391 or 2395 and the other didn't, instead they had the 2396... Well, the choice would be an easy one for me. The 2391 and/or 2395 are in the same boat as the 2382 to me. Given enough retakes, any old muppet can pass them.

That's my two cents anyway :)

I didn't start the 2391, I just used the exam papers to practice for the 2395, there's no 2395 papers available yet as its still a relatively new exam. I haven't done the 2394 yet
I'm not saying that the 2395 is harder than the 2391, just that it's not much easier

Well as someone who has done both the 2391 and the 2394/5 I can confirm that in my personal opinion, the latter was the hardest. If I personally had to employ someone and had to choose between two equally qualified and experienced electricians in every area, both essentially exactly the same but one with the 2391 and one with the 2394/5, I would have to lean towards choosing the one with the 2394/5 just because I know through my own experience the difference. I passed my 2391 almost straight after finishing college with a mark of 86% and even then I found it to be a breeze, I passed my 2394 and 2395 at the start of this year and I struggled with one or two on the 2395 written. I passed my 2395 with a mark of 72%, not good in my opinion. To be fair though, some of the questions are worded rather oddly. Even still, I don't believe in any way that this qual separates the wheat from the chaff, too many 5WWs out there passing them. Equally as baffling is that the pass rate is based on prior performance. Last year, the pass mark required for the 2395 written was 65%, this year it was 55%?!?!? The 2391 at the time I took it required only 50% correct answers in the exam! This to me says that even though only 30% of electricians go on to pass the 2391/2395 first time, out of that 30%, potentially they only know 50% of what they should!

Given the previously mentioned situation, two sparks, one job. If one had the 2391 or 2395 and the other didn't, instead they had the 2396... Well, the choice would be an easy one for me. The 2391 and/or 2395 are in the same boat as the 2382 to me. Given enough retakes, any old muppet can pass them.

What is the difference in content between the 2391 compared with 2394 and 2395?

Am i right in thinking you should do both 2394 and 95 to be classed as fully competent to perform testing and inspection?

And also what was the reason for you taking the 2394 and 95 if you had a 2391? I have a 2391 and want to know what is benefical with having those 2 for me?

Well as someone who has done both the 2391 and the 2394/5 I can confirm that in my personal opinion, the latter was the hardest. If I personally had to employ someone and had to choose between two equally qualified and experienced electricians in every area, both essentially exactly the same but one with the 2391 and one with the 2394/5, I would have to lean towards choosing the one with the 2394/5 just because I know through my own experience the difference.
I passed my 2391 almost straight after finishing college with a mark of 86%
and even then I found it to be a breeze, I passed my 2394 and 2395 at the start of this year and I struggled with one or two on the 2395 written. I passed my 2395 with a mark of 72%, not good in my opinion. To be fair though, some of the questions are worded rather oddly. Even still, I don't believe in any way that this qual separates the wheat from the chaff, too many 5WWs out there passing them. Equally as baffling is that the pass rate is based on prior performance. Last year, the pass mark required for the 2395 written was 65%, this year it was 55%?!?!? The 2391 at the time I took it required only 50% correct answers in the exam! This to me says that even though only 30% of electricians go on to pass the 2391/2395 first time, out of that 30%, potentially they only know 50% of what they should!

where did you get this info' from? when i did mine, they told us that c&g's don't tell you your score - it's just a straight pass or fail.

i passed mine during my first year at college...:tongue:

Hi Barneybhoy :)

Did you actually take the 2391?

I could not comment on the new exams unless I take them. So the man that takes both is the man with a valuable bit of knowledge!

What is the difference in content between the 2391 compared with 2394 and 2395?

Am i right in thinking you should do both 2394 and 95 to be classed as fully competent to perform testing and inspection?

And also what was the reason for you taking the 2394 and 95 if you had a 2391? I have a 2391 and want to know what is benefical with having those 2 for me?

if you hold 2391, there's no need and no point in the 2394/5.

Reply to Con or not?!? City and Guilds 2391 to 2394 and 2395 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net