Discuss Concealed cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

I've got to route some 4mm TnE cable out the middle of an internal wall and up to a safe zone.

For the part of that route which is not in a safe zone I'm looking to provide mechanical protection (reg 522.6.6) through earthed armouring (something like http://www.*************/p/galvanised-steel-channel-25mm-x-2m-20m-pack-of-10/94908). For the rest of it I was just going to use some oval tube.

To earth the steel channel would I use an eyelet to connect an earth cable that is the same size as the one in the TnE and route that back to the CU?

Thanks!

Can't be using steel capping as protection i'm affraid, earthed or not. Its offers very little protection.

Earthed steel conduit or a nice piece of steel over you chase

Why is it coming out of the middle of the wall? Can it not run up the other side to the safe zone then through?

if there is existing cable in the middle of a wall, can't it be chased out and pulled up above the ceiling? ( or down below floor )

It comes out in the middle of the wall 'cos I'm routing out of the under-stairs cupboard through an adjacent hallway..I haven't much choice on that

I like the blank plate option but not sure the customer will tbh.

Point taken re the steel capping - thanks. It's 4mm T/E cable so I'll put in some 20mm conduit like this stuff for the bit of the route that's not in the safe zone and then swap to some capping or oval tube for the cables within the safe zones.

Unless I can just get a steel plate to cover the channel - is that a specific product or should I just look for some strong steel I can cut to size with a grinder?

Thanks for all the advice btw

Any form of metallic protection to a cable not in a safe zone has to be suitable to be used as an earthing conductor,ie-steel conduit,SWA...or another cable incorporating an earthed metallic sheath. I'ts unlikely that steel capping or plate would meet the requirements.

Reply to Concealed cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net