Discuss Concealed junction in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ajelec10

Hi guys thought you may like this one we found the other day, got called in the client had just had the bathroom fitted out, she had wanted downlighters so the bathroom installer droped the ceiling as it was a flat and instaledl the down lighters in it, i just had to see how he had done the junction point above the celing so i cut a square out and look what we pulled out!!! where was part p?? we only got called in because one of the down lighters was flickering and the client had lost confidence in the installer!
Regards
AJ

Attachments

• best1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 92
Must admit i would be tempted to call LABC about this one. This is the reason why good sparks are not getting the money or volume of work they deserve!

Hi guys thought you may like this one we found the other day, got called in the client had just had the bathroom fitted out, she had wanted downlighters so the bathroom installer droped the ceiling as it was a flat and instaledl the down lighters in it, i just had to see how he had done the junction point above the celing so i cut a square out and look what we pulled out!!! where was part p?? we only got called in because one of the down lighters was flickering and the client had lost confidence in the installer!
Regards
AJ

Ok, so he missed the cpc sleeving...............!

Even me as a newby could do better than that.

Unfortunately, this is an all to common occurance coming across things like that and worse only proves to me that its only the decent electricians that answer to the part P compliance. The cowboys just muddle through making a fortune and laughing at us all the way to the bank. Where the cowboy market is concerned, the governing bodies are toothless dogs with not very loud barks. As for the rest of us they just keep taking our subscription money and slap us on the wrist because that socket is 5mm to low.

I dispair :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i must agree with the call to LABC.

You must be careful though as bathroom refits should be notified anyway, and usually the responsibility for that lies with the home owner.

Yes your are right jason, i informed the client who was obviosly very angry with what we found and not to happy with the damage to the newly plastered celing we had to make but she total understood why etc. we have rectifed this by installing a junction box above the celing soldering all connections, re-wiring the downlighters and installing an rcbo to the lighting circiut issing and eic and part p etc she is taking the matter further with the installer as he was recomended by the B+Q sales person. a mate of his!!!!:)
Regards
AJ

Lenny you joke but, just maybe is it what we need and inspector that could be called in by home owners or fellow sparks with powers to proscute??

I agree AJ.

Thing is Part P is considered law isn't it so, IMO if the LABC gave a dam then they could take this up and pursue the offending installer through the courts, but will they bother?? my guess is probably not.

Now an independant body set up to investigate complaints from unhappy customers is another beast altogether to an extent scheme providers can do this but was this guy a member of any scheme and if so does the client know which one, again my guess is probably not. Also who would pay for this independant body (one guess you are allowed):)???

Part P is a crock, it was rushed in, poorly advertised, and more importantly poorly policed so most home owners either aren't aware or dont care.

End of rant.:)

Agree with all, but when push comes to shove do the labc or governing bodies really care? Like I said they all want legitimate sparks money, but when it comes to rogue traders they turn a blind eye 99% of the time. Just the odd and rare prosecution in keeping with political correctness, sorry lads end of my rant now. :mad:

All the Part P is,is a stealth tax set up by the government to draw more money in from qualified electricians,who are more than adequate and qualified to wire domestic properties but need that Part P qualification to sign work off, and register with a governing body who can't wait to take your money.IMO this country has gone to pieces:eek:

Reply to Concealed junction in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net