Discuss Concealed Power Supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Its not the door that is smart, the 110v is for the actual glass.. SmartGlass is just one of the brand names given to it. Others go by the name of Intelligent Glass, Switch Glass..
The last one being my favourite name; as that is what it is. Nothing smart or intelligent about it, just a gimmicky name to hook people in.
Basically it’s layers of glass with liquid crystal in between the layers.
Goes from opaque to clear with voltage supplied.

This is their ermmm solution
Not really suitable for a high end job unfortunately

Attachments

• Concealed Power Supply CB186D97-EF87-486B-9B64-8BF812136555 - EletriciansForums.net
    CB186D97-EF87-486B-9B64-8BF812136555.jpeg
    861.8 KB · Views: 26
Its not the door that is smart, the 110v is for the actual glass.. SmartGlass is just one of the brand names given to it. Others go by the name of Intelligent Glass, Switch Glass..
The last one being my favourite name; as that is what it is. Nothing smart or intelligent about it, just a gimmicky name to hook people in.
Basically it’s layers of glass with liquid crystal in between the layers.
Goes from opaque to clear with voltage supplied.
Lads have just done one in a top of the range, ongoing job. It's basically a glass outside wall of a bathroom which changes from clear to opaque when in use. Mind blowing spec to the job.

Lads have just done one in a top of the range, ongoing job. It's basically a glass outside wall of a bathroom which changes from clear to opaque when in use. Mind blowing spec to the job.
You can also vary the voltage to the glass to alter the opacity..
Which brand did you install?
Was it also 110v?
The job i’m currently involved in has it specced up for an orangery.. I’ve also used it for offices and between gyms and pools.

Charlie, you just answered a question i was about to ask...ie can you vary the opacity? I presume this is the case for all such glass?
I have a project for which this application would be perfect, so could you link me to a preferred supplier to save me hours of research?

Bit of a bugger if the power fails while you're starkers in the bathroom. Or does it fail safe?

Charlie, you just answered a question i was about to ask...ie can you vary the opacity? I presume this is the case for all such glass?
I have a project for which this application would be perfect, so could you link me to a preferred supplier to save me hours of research?

Sales Manager: Jamie Conroy.
That’s the company that supplies the glass for our current job.
They also do a film to fit into existing glass.. small samples are available.

Just a thought - keep it simple and use super flexible wire to bridge between the static and moving parts:

or this one for 'abrupt and fast movement applications such as cranes and robots':

Last edited:
What's a ball park figure for a smart glass window then?

Just a thought - keep it simple and use super flexible wire to bridge between the static and moving parts:

or this one for 'abrupt and fast movement applications such as cranes and robots':

Thank you, very good options

What happens if it is broken - (may have been asked already) - is there any electric shock risk?

It’s a fairly new product so reliability is difficult to research, can only go on manufacturers assurances and guarantees.
I’m supplying the glass at 110v using an isolating transformer

Sounds out of my price range. I'll stick with curtains!

Reply to Concealed Power Supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock