Discuss Condition of service head/cut out fuse etc. report to DNO? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Michal

-
Reaction score
Hello
Came across something like this.Is that something what i should report to DNO?.its supply to 2 flats.New cable on the left goes to first floor flat where electricity meter is.Its not SWA.All seals has been cut off.
If i report it do they come on short notice and put new service head etc.?

Attachments

• 20200824_194318.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 78
Doesn’t look like a DNO job to me - whoever put that cable in to the meter upstairs.

You sure that’s not SWA. Looks a lot like it if not.

I’d be asking them to come and have a look and confirm they’re happy with the arrangement. Looks like a right bodge to me

Yea im pretty sure its not swa,so no mechanical protection. Did the person who install the meter not checked that this comply with regs.?.How does that work?.

Attachments

• 20200824_194501.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 74
Are you sure there is no armour hiding under the tape?
It looks like bodge to me.

if it were NYYJ cable, 3 core would normally be brown, blue, green/yellow
the only 3 core cable i can think of that has 3 phase colours and no earth wire is SWA.
the tape round the point that it is stripped back is another indication to me that the armour is hiding under the tape.
[automerge]1598350720[/automerge]
also, zoom in on the end attached to the meter, you can see the grooves left from the armour that has been removed and the insulation is far thinner than you would expect for an outer cover.

if it were NYYJ cable, 3 core would normally be brown, blue, green/yellow
the only 3 core cable i can think of that has 3 phase colours and no earth wire is SWA.
the tape round the point that it is stripped back is another indication to me that the armour is hiding under the tape.
This is picture of other end of the cable at the flat.Cant see SWA strands

Attachments

• 20200824_194501.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 50
when you get back to site, check what is written on outside of cable.
i suspect the length of sheave shown by the meter will have nothing printed on it as it is an internal layer of insulation.

look further along the cable, i expect you to find armour and another layer of insulation.

also, at the end by the cutout, there is only a single layer of insulation, it should be double insulated and grey should probably be blue??

That looks like SWA that's had the steel removed. If you take a look at the attached, page 8 shows who's responsibility the cable is. However I suspect that was installed by a builder and the suppliers meter chimp has just connected it up without question.

Also looks like a homemade TNS on the supply cable using a 951 clamp, that needs looking at.

Page 54 also seems to apply.

MOCOPA-guide-version-3.5.pdf

Attachments

• MOCOPA-guide-version-3.5.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Hello all

I have an update from customer. Its hard to believe. This is what customer said
"I had Southern and Scottish Electricity (who UK Power told me deal with the electricity supply in my area) out to visit the property on Wednesday based on your report. They actually said that in their opinion there was nothing wrong with the installation in the downstairs entrance hall and in their opinion it is safe. It does, however, need boxing in by a carpenter. I will arrange this of course. "

Reply to Condition of service head/cut out fuse etc. report to DNO? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net