• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Condudisc alternative to a earth rod in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Been having problems of late with hard rocky ground making installing rods on EV chargers next to impossible. This thread might also be of use to people when putting rods in when exporting PME with tricky ground conditions too.
Have come across this
Looks quite useful. anybody actually used one of these? did see them at the recent electrical exhibition but didnt take too much notice.
I have an upcoming install where a rod is only going in just over 2 feet then very hard rock. so this condudisc does the trick,
I have seen them on lampposts before now, again not paying much notice.
Anybody got experience of condudisc and the conducrete (similar to marconite?)
Likewise anybody got a price on them? I am waiting for them to get in touch with pricing and whether I can order direct or via wholesalers.

ChrisElectrical88

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Never installed one, however do you thi k soon in new builds something like this will become a mandatory thing to install to ensure the infrastructure is in for the future.

At some point were all going to have to consider an electric or alternative veichle.

mattg4321

Electrician's Arms
Interested to see where you get with this.

One of the big problems with driving rods in is the risk of hitting services. That always worries me. I know you can dig a trial hole by hand, but you have to go pretty deep to rule out water pipes - I think 750mm?

Then of course you have the problem of hard ground.

What does everyone else do regarding the above challenges?

I've seen that DNO often throw an earth plate into their trenches. I've never seen them use a rod. I have no idea where these can be bought though, or how much they would cost.

Reactions: DPG

Strima

Electrician's Arms
All BT street cab builds now are done on conductive concrete as there's been too many incidents in the past banging rods in.

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
................One of the big problems with driving rods in is the risk of hitting services. That always worries me. I know you can dig a trial hole by hand, but you have to go pretty deep to rule out water pipes - I think 750mm?

Then of course you have the problem of hard ground.

What does everyone else do regarding the above challenges?.................
In areas where there's likely to be other services we dig at least the first meter carefully by hand using a spade only, no pickaxe or jackhammer. It's sometimes time consuming but it's the safest way.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.