Discuss Conduit bending of double sets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Who uses conduit these days?
tube is tube, i was taught by both a plumber and electrician when i was at college and other than multiple names for the same thing the principle is the same.

i can make a framework up in the workshop then take it to site and no need to tweak so i think knowing how plumbers dose it is very useful.

Basic college stuff this!
2.5 times the pipe diameter = 50mm or 62.5mm or whatever. Hacksaw cut in the former that distance in from the top.

Boydy

Last edited by a moderator:
On 20mm its about 50mm from back of the former,so mark former mark conduit and bend you could mark conduit say 10mm longer for your first bend and adjust mark on former to suit

As boydys post earlier
my tip for a double set is get the first one correct.
then mark it out on the floor
return to bender.
make second set to match your outline marked on the floor.
result spot on double set.

As boydys post earlier
my tip for a double set is get the first one correct.
then mark it out on the floor
return to bender.
make second set to match your outline marked on the floor.
result spot on double set.

Bloody amateur!!

Thank God you're just a spark and not a plumber!! ;)

Haha Geordie !
mind we have to get wires down the pipes and not just a dod of waater now.
i should have actually said it was a method shown to me by an old boy to get matching double sets around a dirty great beam.
i don't see many plumbers doing 2ft double sets these days....
usually a bit of speed fit with a few push on elbows seems to about the limit just now.

I found silly little tips and tricks help with tube bending, I learnt from several sparks when I was a apprentice and adopted bits of all of them to make my own technique.

But 2 uncommon ones that I found help alot is:

1) Get a little magnetic bubble level (the 360 degree type) and mark on it 30, 45 and 90 degrees. Then stick it on the side of the bending handle perfect angle every time!

2) After you have set up your bender and you have marked the position for the back of bend (always worked from the back ;) ) transfer the mark to the former to save time in future, We tend to nice ours with the hack saw so it doesnt dissapear LOL

3) As someone said above make it up on the floor first, Its easier than trying to do it when up steps!

Oh and Besoeker, I dont use it since I changed jobs recently but before that I used PVC and galv on a regular basis.

There is nout more satisfying than taking a step back from a nicely done conduit install and thinking "yup I did that and it looks the dogs danglers!"

There are lots of tricks but when you have been doing it for years and were a properly trained apprentice, it just flows, 2nd nature. Geordie knows what Im saying.

Boydy

There are lots of tricks but when you have been doing it for years and were a properly trained apprentice, it just flows, 2nd nature. Geordie knows what Im saying.

Boydy

Exactly!!

That said, there's some good useful stuff on you tube showing exactly how it's done.

Who cares, just palm it off on a pipe fitter! :smilielol5:

Exactly!!

That said, there's some good useful stuff on you tube showing exactly how it's done.

You would have liked my last “conduit” install in the casting shop. It was close to the hot metal so the best thing to use was 1” black iron pipe.

One of the other shift teams had originally used SWA, that lasted ½ a shift. Galvanised conduit came next, that succumbed to the production lads cleaning iron splash off with a windy pick.

Before anyone asks, we would always try to avoid the danger spots. Sometimes they couldn’t be avoided and drastic measures were needed.

Where is the back of the bend on the conduit former?

Measure the distance from the fixed point to the object you are passing over, call this measurement A. Now measure the depth of the object, call this measurement B.

Subtract B from A and mark conduit.

Now you need two 600mm rules, one of which will adjust for the angle. Now subtract B from the 600mm rule, place the other 600mm rule and adjust to new measurement, this is your bending angle.

place conduit in bender and position mark so it sits on the edge of the former. Bend to the angle of the adjustable rule.

Now remove conduit, and place so a parallel line set to measurement B is below, now mark conduit where the conduit crosses that line.

Again place in bender and place mark so it sits on edge of former and bend until parallel with conduit.

You will get perfect sets and less waste.

Reply to Conduit bending of double sets in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock