Discuss Conduit for 2.5mm T&E Ring main in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bobveal

Hi all,

I am currently fixing up a room in my house and after removing some built in bookshelves found that that wiring for the single socket in the room was surface mounted on the walls.

Given I'm doing a fair amount of plastering in the room I would like to re-route the wires through my loft and then drop down to the socket chasing in the wall.

The questions I had were regarding the use of conduit.

1) Which size do I need if I am running 2 x 2.5 T&E cables
2) Should I use oval or round?
3) Can I still pull cables through the conduit if I have to use a 90 degree coupling?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

Rob

i would deffo use oval. straight drop from loft to socket. why the 90deg. coupling?

Hi there,

thanks for responding so quickly :)

My house is thatched and hence I believe I need to run the cable that is in the loft also in conduit so I was guessing that I need to connect the conduit coming from the rest of the main to the conduit for my drop?

of course I may have misunderstood what you meant :)

Thanks,

if you use round 20mm conduit with an bend, you can pull 2 x 2.5mm ( don't use a tight elbow ). however, if it is only 1 socket outlet, you could just spur off the ring with 1 x 2.5mm

My house is thatched and hence I believe I need to run the cable that is in the loft also in conduit so I was guessing that I need to connect the conduit coming from the rest of the main to the conduit for my drop?

If you live in a thatched roof house I would get a qualified insured electrian to do this work. With it being thatched I assume it is a listed building? What would your labc think about this or your insurance company? Just a word of warning.

use 20mm round imo here in n.ireland oval is a thing of the past. The round enables you to rewire the socket at a later date more easier..

If you live in a thatched roof house I would get a qualified insured electrian to do this work. With it being thatched I assume it is a listed building? What would your labc think about this or your insurance company? Just a word of warning.

Seconded - wiring in a property with a thatched roof is a whole different ball-game, particularly with cables in the roof space.

Hi all,

Thanks for the posts and I appreciate the advice. Always annoying when life gets difficult trying to upgrade something that I guess wasn't done right in the first place.

Anyway, 3 pros have been called and I await the quotes :) and also :-(

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to Conduit for 2.5mm T&E Ring main in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock