Discuss Conduit tap & die set in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Another general question for folk out there with experience: if buying a tap & die set for metal conduit (20mm / 25mm) are there any to recommend, or any to avoid like the plague?

I've had good service from Armeg dies, also Hall's. It's so long since I had bad ones I can't remember where they came from, probably some no-brand emergency purchase.

armeg are just rebadged halls, probably the best stocks IMO as they do not have knurled handles that rip your hands to shreds when doing endless threading.

It's unusual to get a tap and die set for conduit as a tap will not normally be used in conduit work, usually it is just stocks and dies in a set for conduit threading.

I've got about 4 sets of halls stocks which I think are all older than me, I've tried some of the more modern sets but they all seem light and flimsy by comparison. Armeg were probably the best of the bunch.

I've got some Rothenberger dies coupled with a ratchet style handle, still sharp as anything and have been used quite a bit over the last 6/7yrs, the 32mm die is not fun to use though :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Another general question for folk out there with experience: if buying a tap & die set for metal conduit (20mm / 25mm) are there any to recommend, or any to avoid like the plague?
I just us a portable pipe pipe machine which is good for 12mm to 50 mm but never had to tap a hole that big

i won't be doing any more conduit work and so might be persuaded to sell my set ..Hall stock (not knurled) with both 20mm and 25mm Hall dies. all in perfect condition.

Reply to Conduit tap & die set in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net