Discuss conduit used as cpc. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

amicus

Hi. On an inspection is it still ok for the conduit to provide the earth if the continuity/loop tests show up good.Its a communal lighting system in 60,s built scheme.They are fed via retro fitted rcd/mcb garage type unit.

Thanks,i thought it was, but you get so many differing opinions on whats req by 7671 you start to loose confidence in whats right or not.It wasn,t like this on the fourteenth edition.

yes i know you were not being serious just thought i would look up the old book
to find the regs for them.
now maybe someone amicus possibly conduit was always used as cpc no seperate cpc
then when the 15th came in we were called back to some large installs
to pull in a cpc in .

Hi Old dog.You must be as old as your name suggests.Like you i started out on that edition and have been going downhill eversince.Pipework was considered supreeme back then until it started to rot if not instaled corectly and green,sorry green & yellow was introduced to correct this.It gives cause for concern now when they are absent.I also had a lot more hair then.

hi amicus i was trying to think back when we worked to the 14th
i started off in glasgow there was no need to run a cpc in tube.
howeverer we done it as it was considerd good practice .
i was living in london when the 15th edition came in then the company i was working
for started to pull in a cpc ( whitch i was doing anyway) now to the question
was the conduit considerd adequate in the 15th sorry if i rambled on
but you know what its like when you get to our age

As far as i remember Earth Wires in pipe came in around 75-76.Not sure about 15th requirements,but over the years have come accross many cases of lost earth due to corrosion or loose bushes,which going back to question,these couplings set in concrete cannot be inspected and to say all is A ok for the next ten years when corrosion is well advanced (but tests ok) is a little worrying.Do you think the presence of the RCD compensates future problems in the pipework.

i think the future will rely far to much on rcd .the ink on the 17th is still wet.
and all i hear thats ok its rcd protected. rcd is additional protection it is not the be all and end all.
at the end of the day if the mechanical switch sticks then you should still be able to meet disconnection
times. any conduit i run will have a cpc and as you say corrosion or loose damaged couplings
after ten years wont be a big problem and dont forget the good old rcd will be there aswell

Hi. On an inspection is it still ok for the conduit to provide the earth if the continuity/loop tests show up good.Its a communal lighting system in 60,s built scheme.They are fed via retro fitted rcd/mcb garage type unit.

hi there
regulation 543.2.2 page 131a protective conductor may consist of one of the following
part (vi) conduit trunking etc:)

cheers

Reply to conduit used as cpc. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock