Discuss Conduit Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparky_Ben

A t college today I started working with pvc conduit and the wiring to go with it. The job we were given required me to pull 6 single core wires through I have to admit a found this rather tricky as the draw string kept being pulled off. The tutor then showed me how he did it and made it look easy lol I think it was just experience.

Just wondering how you guys pull the cables through is there another method?

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd say go with the tutors method if it was an easier one.

the draw wire attached to your 6 cables is the most important thing you have to make sure that is absolutely secure. also make sure the 6 cables are as close together as possible and not bunching. if your taping them toegther make them as smooth as possible. when passing through the conduit make sure you can feed it aswell as pull it that will help it to go through smooth. On site i would say its a two man job one feeding one pulling.

in collge your just on a small boaurd so i guess you can reach the push and pull yourself.

hope that makes sence :)

I have a CK fish tape that I sometimes use on-site simliar to this:

Spring Steel Fish Tape - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

But you can use rods like these:

Cable Rod Tool Box Kit - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

Depends on the job and route. Agree with Burney, take your time to make a good connection and keep your cables as smoothed out as psooible for the feed. Takes a bit of practice!

Yes I thought that would be the best method just thought I would check. There is a sparky mate on ma course and he came over and said are just take that pieces off then connect it back up.
I just thought to myself that isnt going to work and I would rather do it the properly and learn the right wat not cheat because I will never learn.

When we did this we taped the first single at about 5" (from the end) the second at about 4" the third at 3" etc so the end result is that the draw line starts off thin and slowly gets fatter. this means that there are no sudden increases in size which means it goes round the corners more easily as it is more streamlined and doesn't get snagged so easily

yes I found this out after several attempts so I asked the tutor then he showed me what he would do. I was taping all 6 single cores in one piece so I found out the hard way, it was impossible. however I now know what to do for the future which is what college is all about right?

I bought a nylon draw cable that has several different end fittings from b&q for about £6 or £7 it looks quite good. Unfortunately by the time i bought it we had finished that practical section and so i still have not used it. :(

well we were using a piece of conduit single core wire then using that to pull the other cables through. so it took abit of getting used to

sometimes they have us doing things and don't tell us that there are useful extra tools available to us in the store. We don't ask for them cos we don't know they are there :mad:

well to be fair I had seen it done before but i didnt realise that they had the wires spread out when taped together.But I am glad I have learnt a useful technique for when using single core and conduit for future projects.

Im also in college and i to did conduit for the first time last week. I learnt how to pull cablle thought conduit off my dad he has a length of single that he pulled out of an old insulation he simply threaded it thought the conduit tapped the new singles on the end and pulled it back nice and simple and cheap.

A

Reply to Conduit Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock