Discuss Confirmation for a fused spur under kitchen units in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tasty

Hi all,

As ever, I prefer to check with others before proceeding with work I've not yet encountered, however I'm pretty sure I'm ok with this one.

The lady i'm helping is having a new gas top hob to replace her old one, however the company who are installing the oven/hob refused to wire the hob in as the existing wire goes behind the plaster to a FCU, and they don't want to touch electrics. Therefore they've asked for a socket or spur to be installed.

Now both hobs have 1.5mm 3 core flex, so I was thinking simply install a connection unit with a flex outlet plate where the current cable comes out of the wall, then wire the new hob into that outlet.

They also said I could just install a single socket, however I didn't think this was best as it will only be supplied by 1.5m cable and may be used incorrectly in the future.

The load will be for the ignition switch only, however I cant give the exact load as i've not seen the spec for the hob just yet.

Cheers if anyone can just confirm/advise me on this.

Stu

If I read your post correctly you have a FCU on the wall and from that unit a piece of 1.5mm cable buried in the wall and just not terminating into anything ...........is that right.

What you want to do it fit a surface mounted box with a flex outlet plate and terminate the 1.5mm cable and the 1.5mm flex from the hob into this.

So the first thing is that FCU with just the cable protruding out of it, is it protected on a RCD? If it is and you fitted a socket outlet to it, that socket outlet would need to have RCD protection. which is no great problem as you can fit a RCD FCU, but they can work out expensive

If you fit the the flex outlet plate then as long as you have not moved or touched that cable that is buried in the wall you will not need to fit RCD protection.

You should by rights carry out an IR on that old cable just to make sure it is ok for use, but as it is buried a visual check on it's condition should be ok.

As long as the new hob does not have a moulded 3 pin plug, to save all the RCD protection and such I would go with the flex outlet.

Just out of curiosity what was on the end of that cable coming out of the FCU, and did you remove what ever it was. Becasue if you did you will need to issue a MEIWC for the alteration.

Thanks for the replies!

Malcolm: Yes, the kitchen ring is protected by an rcd currently. I've decided to go with the original plan for the flex outlet, so thanks for confirming this. The spur is currently connected directly to the existing hob, so i'll be disconnecting that hob and terminating the cable that used to go to it at the new outlet. As for Minor works certificates I do have a fluke tester and certificates to fill in, however i'm not going to be connecting up the new hob, all i've been asked to do is prep the electrics so the fitters can do it. Therefore all I'm essentially doing is terminating a cable in a box - so would you still fill in a certificate for this?

Thanks again :D

Reply to Confirmation for a fused spur under kitchen units in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net