Discuss Confirmation of H07RN-F Cable Ratings - Conflicting Information in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

matthewbutt

Hi All,

I hope this finds you well.

We are currently specifying a series of flexible cabling for a data centre but I seem to be finding conflicting information re the cable ratings of the H07RN-F cable and I was wondering if you could assist?

In short, we have three independent load requirements, the first is for a number of APC Symmetra PX 40kVA UPS's - each connected to a 100A Merlin Gerin MCCB down-rated to 90A. We would like to specify a 5-core cable for this. The cable runs are no longer than 35M and are on cable basket in free-air laying next to each other.

The second is for a number of 220KvA Generators - each connected to a 400A Merlin Gerin MCCB down-rated to 312A. We would like to specify multiple single core cables for this. The cable runs are no longer than 30M and are on cable basket in free-air laying next/on-top of each other.

The last is for internal wiring within an ATS/AMF panel whereby the maximum load is 400A. Again we would like to specify multiple single core cables for this. The cable runs are no longer than 15M and are inside switchgear panels or metal trunking.

My calculations indicate that a 16mm cable will be suitable for the first load requirement with a 7.56V drop, 95mm for the second load requirement with a 4.02v drop and 150mm for the third load requirement with a 1.16V drop.

I realise the rating is dependant on cable length, method of containment, location of containment/cabling, voltage drop etc but do you have information relating to the cable specification/ratings? Do the calculations above look sound from your perspective?

Thank you in advance for your time.
All the best,

Matthew

Exact voltdrops might vary slightly between manufacturers but the voltdrops they publish should be based on tests they've made so the best would be to chose a local brand of cable and then work on those specific figures they give you in their datasheets.

Thank you Marvo,

The original document I spec'd the above from is here: http://storage.baselocation.com/ole...anex-fc0d5f47-bec4-419e-bd4f-80f4d2a88a05.pdf which is published by Nexans/Titanex whome are the manufaturer of the cable we intend to purchase.

Conflicting to this though, again by Nexans/Titanex, are the following three pages on their website (scroll to the bottom for ratings):

H07RN-F TITANEX 5G16 cut to length - Nexans

H07RN-F TITANEX 1x95 cut to length - Nexans

H07RN-F TITANEX 1x150 cut to length - Nexans

Normally I would just go for the larger cable, but as we are talking about SERIOUS price differences I would like to double check this.

Thanks again for your time on this,

Matthew

Its a little hard to give an answer as the opening post is slightly vague for us to give an answer, also you ask if your calculations are correct but I don't see any just an answer, without seeing where you have got your answers from and how you worked it out its hard for us to give a definitive answer without asking your a barrage of questions.

Could you please show your calcs so we are not second guessing how you achieved them ;)

Hi Guys,

I'll send across my calcs when I'm back in the office tomorrow - the reason for H07RN-F over SWA is that the route these cables need to take is beyond 'challenging' and for the sake of a little more money on cable I would rather proceed down the flexible route option.

Whilst I remember, the cable will be at 30 degrees ambient maximum and the cable is rated at 85 degrees. I'll be in touch will my calcs shortly.
All the best,

Matthew

Reply to Confirmation of H07RN-F Cable Ratings - Conflicting Information in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net