Discuss Conflicting informatiom in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Plonker 3

Doing a EICR today, and come across this MCB, but the stickers different from what is engraved on the side, could someone please give me the correct KA rating for this please.

Attachments

• Conflicting informatiom 20120712_124509 - EletriciansForums.net
    20120712_124509.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Conflicting informatiom 20120712_124447 - EletriciansForums.net
    20120712_124447.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 91
Both look like the Icn or breaking capacity is 10 000 (10kA), and Ics M3 (3kA) or switching capacity on paper label, but if it is part of a CU up to a 100A single phase, the Icn may be taken as 16kA.

See what others think.

Last edited:
i had exactly the smae problem a few weeks ago, with exactly the same breakers. I think that the 10ka interrupting capaictyis the reated ultimate breaking capacity, in toherwords, the unti will not be useable after breaking a fault of that magnitude. the 3Ka is the load that it willbreak wand still be usebale again.

the DNO fuse will have energy limiting characteristics that will probably stop the fault currwent from reaching 10Ka though. maufacturers info is available

At a guess made for the American market, the 10KA relates to there NEMA/UL standards Whereas the M3 is the category that the BS institute has handed it. Very similar to MG (Schneider) breakers, ...look at the French KA ratings and you'll find that they can be very different from the BS ratings....

I may be wrong, but seen this many times in the past with European KA values in conflict to BS type ratings...

I would have said the max breaking capacity or Icn is 10kA and this is present on both labels.

Icn = n for knackered, means it is capable of breaking this magnitude of fault current and is the absolute max capacity but will not work again after, this is the parameter for the EICR, for clearing the largest fault current that is possible (or pfc).

Ics is the max fault current it can safely switch and still be usable, in this case M3 or 3kA.

Ics = s for safely switch, which is still more than it's normal load and will probably not be exceeded on a fault downstream of this device.

The PFC diminishes the further away from the origin you get, due to the resistances of the conductors MCB etc.

see Johnboys post further back in the thread.

Last edited:
Icn = n for knackered, means it is capable of breaking this magnitude of fault current and is the absolute max capacity but will not work again after, this is the parameter for the EICR, for clearing the largest fault current that is possible (or pfc).

Isnt it the other way round ?
I thought the value recorded on the cert was its Ics ? the max fault current that leaves the mcb reusable ?
Its certainly the most useful data of the two.

Isnt it the other way round ?
I thought the value recorded on the cert was its Ics ? the max fault current that leaves the mcb reusable ?
Its certainly the most useful data of the two.
Nope it's Icn, same as for the MCB/RCBO (normally 6k or 3k for the wylex plug in 3036 replacement jobbies).

Reply to Conflicting informatiom in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock