Discuss ConFused about light mystery in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whin

-
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me work this out.

While changing a dimmer switch in a bedroom I had fuse for the lights turned off. Turning it back on the bedroom lights are working fine but the lights in the kitchen have stopped. I changed a bulb to be sure but it's not that. The kitchen has 2 switches on one plate that control 4 down lights on the ceiling and a few under the cupboards. I have no idea where to start. All the other lights are working in the flat.

Any help much appreciated.

Here's the fuse box if that's of any help: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting - http://tinypic.com/r/x2mgqs/9

IMG_20180209_165429.jpg

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me work this out.

While changing a dimmer switch in a bedroom I had fuse for the lights turned off. Turning it back on the bedroom lights are working fine but the lights in the kitchen have stopped. I changed a bulb to be sure but it's not that. The kitchen has 2 switches on one plate that control 4 down lights on the ceiling and a few under the cupboards. I have no idea where to start. All the other lights are working in the flat.

Any help much appreciated.

Here's the fuse box if that's of any help: Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting - http://tinypic.com/r/x2mgqs/9

View attachment 40718
Very difficult to say without eyes on to be honest Whin need to be on site for a looksee.

Can you post a pic of the wiring at the new switch.

At the new dimmer - a careful pic of how it's wired now would be helpful. Possibly an L has not been carried forward to the next light in the kitchen ?

At the new dimmer - a careful pic of how it's wired now would be helpful. Possibly an L has not been carried forward to the next light in the kitchen ?

Thanks for your reply. Here are some pics of the dimmer switch.

Note that the kitchen lights don't work if the bedroom lights are on or not and that there are two other rooms between with lights that work fine.

IMG_20180209_201754.jpg

IMG_20180209_201746.jpg

This was my first thought too.
If the kitchen lights stopped working after the dimmer was added, it seems logical that there is a connection problem in that new wiring. It also leads me to the assumption that the kitchen is later in the run than the bedroom.
(Just trying to get involved, correct me if I'm wrong. :) )

There are three blues together which would tell me neutral in, neutral out and neutral to the light being switched by that dimmer. I am only 95% sure but two of those browns need to be together and not separate as they are. A bit of trial and error with the browns should remedy it. So what you need is two browns together and one on its own and I am certain this will solve it. Use the old switch and not the dimmer for now until you suss it.

There are three blues together which would tell me neutral in, neutral out and neutral to the light being switched by that dimmer. I am only 95% sure but two of those browns need to be together and not separate as they are. A bit of trial and error with the browns should remedy it. So what you need is two browns together and one on its own and I am certain this will solve it. Use the old switch and not the dimmer for now until you suss it.
So are you thinking Live Line In and Live Line Out together, and Live Switched Out on its own?

Yeah the three browns comprise in, out which should be together and the other the switched line to the light from that dimmer. So two browns into common and the other to L1 at the switch. Trial and error will solve it.

Agree @westward10 - of the 3 browns I think 2 should be in the C(ommon) terminal and one in 1 terminal. But which 2 ... please be very careful to isolate this circuit as these are Live Wires. So I'm thinking take the brown from 2 terminal and put it with the one already in C.
Edit - I'm tooo slow typing with 1 finger. Other hand has glass in it o_O

What's in the glass, pinot in mine.

The kitchen has 2 switches on one plate that control 4 down lights on the ceiling and a few under the cupboards.

What type of lights/bulbs do you have in the kitchen? I think some won't work off a dimmer switch, which would lend weight to the mixed up lives idea mentioned earlier?

Yeah the three browns comprise in, out which should be together and the other the switched line to the light from that dimmer. So two browns into common and the other to L1 at the switch. Trial and error will solve it.

Thank you. This solved it. I'm still a bit perplexed because when I originally did it there was definitely 3 wires going to 3 separate terminals...

Maybe an ignorant question but is there any likelihood that by connecting two lives I could be creating a fire hazard? Everything is working peacefully now.

Can you post a picture off EVERYTHING you have touched
Dunno about you Camerabloke, but that could get a bit personal don't you think, think about it for a minute "everything you have touched":eek::rolleyes:o_O:yum::sweat::smirk::smilingimp:

Dunno about you Camerabloke, but that could get a bit personal don't you think, think about it for a minute "everything you have touched":eek::rolleyes:o_O:yum::sweat::smirk::smilingimp:
I can't say for camerabloke, but that wasn't on my mind when I posted.

I'm still a bit perplexed because when I originally did it there was definitely 3 wires going to 3 separate terminals...

Sounds like the original switch was configured/designed differently to your current one....

Reply to ConFused about light mystery in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net