Discuss confused about part P do i need it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

theskid

ihi i am a fully qualified electrician c & G 2386 part 1,2 am1,am2 and C course also 16th edition refresher course
also i hold HNC in electrical/electronic engineering

i am 36 years of age and been working for niceic firms since i was an apprentice around 20 years ago

before part P you could get hold of them green NICEIC certificates to carry out testing if you were not in the niceic to use for foreigners and as i can gather you still can, but my question is ,as im qualified as an electical installations electrician do i need PART P to carry out and test my own work
basically do i need PART P to start off on my own/as i know i need the 2391 to join niceic domestic installer

also i have been waiting years to do the 2391 course but now im sick of asking my miser boss to put me through it and have decided to pay for it myself does anyone know if you can get help mto pay for the course,contacted my college and they said it was to do with JTL ,will be emialing them if i can find a contact

thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
ihi i am a fully qualified electrician c & G 2386 part 1,2 am1,am2 and C course also 16th edition refresher course
also i hold HNC in electrical/electronic engineering

i am 36 years of age and been working for niceic firms since i was an apprentice around 20 years ago

before part P you could get hold of them green NICEIC certificates to carry out testing if you were not in the niceic to use for foreigners and as i can gather you still can, but my question is ,as im qualified as an electical installations electrician do i need PART P to carry out and test my own work
basically do i need PART P to start off on my own/as i know i need the 2391 to join niceic domestic installer

also i have been waiting years to do the 2391 course but now im sick of asking my miser boss to put me through it and have decided to pay for it myself does anyone know if you can get help mto pay for the course,contacted my college and they said it was to do with JTL ,will be emialing them if i can find a contact

thankyou

If you don't join one of the schemes run by NAPIT, NICEIC or ELECSA etc, you can still do domestic work BUT you have to notify the LABC for most jobs and pay a fee depending up on work which can start in the region of £100+.

This can be quite costly if you do a number of jobs so it will be cheaper in the long run to join one of the schemes pay your membership fee around £500 I believe and then you don't need to notify LABC but you still have to pay your scheme provider a sum (approx £2) for each cert you issue.

As far as I am aware you don't need 2391 if you are doing house bashing but if the work you are doing is NON domestic then you don't have to join a scheme provider but will need your 2391 really.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick response

i was wondering if there is any help on paying the fees for my 2391
as i am not getting anywhere via my firm which i have been employed by for 3 years in may2009

The thing is i left a firm i was with for 9+years to come here and its one mistake i regret makeing in my life( would have been 2391 by now at my old firm)
i will propably eventually get my 2391 at my current employer but the thing is my boss has no need to put me through it ,as 2 electricians hold it, but i still do niceic testing periodic and completion for him
in my opinion firms should not be allowed to get away with this but nowadays they hold you by the balls because i would struggle getting anywhere without my 2391 its all wrong and needs to be addressed

Are they a JIB company as if they are you will need 2391 to get graded as an Approved Electrician

no there not JIB registered also my old firm wasn't but i have been payed as an approved electrician
not right really but they get away with it
also you dont need to be with a JIB firm to get approved status i just need my 2391 that right?

what im looking for here is can i fund myself to carry out the 2391 course and get help from somewhere for the fees?

thanks for the quick response

i was wondering if there is any help on paying the fees for my 2391
as i am not getting anywhere via my firm which i have been employed by for 3 years in may2009

The thing is i left a firm i was with for 9+years to come here and its one mistake i regret makeing in my life( would have been 2391 by now at my old firm)
i will propably eventually get my 2391 at my current employer but the thing is my boss has no need to put me through it ,as 2 electricians hold it, but i still do niceic testing periodic and completion for him
in my opinion firms should not be allowed to get away with this but nowadays they hold you by the balls because i would struggle getting anywhere without my 2391 its all wrong and needs to be addressed

To put it bluntly your too old!

JTL won't help anyone over 19 with fees and I don't think they would if you were under 19 as its a short course (not too sure on that one) I did it this year for £638 inc VAT but remember to shop about as the price varies massively!

Almost forgot they won't let you do it til your 17th edition qualified and that will set you back £450 for the 3 day course!

part P is for plumbers and kithen fitters and the like doing electrical work
in domestic situations.It is not meant for proper sparks,though not a lot of people seem to know that,especially recruitment agencies.

part P is for plumbers and kithen fitters and the like doing electrical work
in domestic situations.It is not meant for proper sparks,though not a lot of people seem to know that,especially recruitment agencies.

I only do industrial/commercial and still don't 'get' part P. I thought that even proper sparks had to get into a part P scheme or something before they could sign off their own work if it was carried out in a domestic area that comes under part P?

I only do industrial/commercial and still don't 'get' part P. I thought that even proper sparks had to get into a part P scheme or something before they could sign off their own work if it was carried out in a domestic area that comes under part P?

For a spark to sign off any work that falls under Part P of the Building Regulations (electrical Safety) they need to either be a member of a government approved scheme i.e. Napit, Niceic, Elecsa etc or notify the local building control before starting the work so that it can be inspected by them at a cost.

Part P isn't a qualification as some people think.

For Kitchen fitters, plumbers etc it is a way to show compliance (competent to carry out work) with electrical safety. i.e. so they know how to safely isolate the supply etc.

Thats why it is only a short course.

I'm starting the 2391 in febuary. Because I'm looking for work, while on jobseekers, any course which is under 16 hrs a week is paid for by them. You can do your 2391 if you have your 16th edition but not your 17th. You have to take your certificate when you get inducted. Also part P is only for non qualified electricians who do minor electrics in their jobs such as kitchen fitters, gas engineers etc.

hasel5

i agree,
i am a fully qualified spark with several years experience.
i am a member of the niceic as an approved contractor and also under their domestic installer status. i am not "qualified " by that scheme but approved to carry out all work in a domestic work in a dwelling without having to rope in the local building autority at 100 quid a go.
several colleges/training centres provide some sort of part p course which only really makes you aware of the regulations in place that are required when carrying out said works.if u ask me then no one apart from a qualified time spent spark should be working on electrics full stop. i have been called to many an example of the "part p qualified" kitchen fitter who has bodged some sockets in and documented the whole thing incorrectly. as for the 2391 qualification this is not a necesatity but highly reccomended for joining the scheme with the niceic. as long as you can demonstrate good working knowlage then this is deemed sufficient. sorry for the rant, hope this helps.

Also part P is only for non qualified electricians who do minor electrics in their jobs such as kitchen fitters, gas engineers etc.

Part P is a building regulation, not a qualification, and applies to ANYONE doing electrical installations.

From what I have been told is that all domestic work apart from minor works carried out has to be done by a part P registered electrician/firm, this is regardless of wheather or not you are a fully qualified electrician or qualified to 2391.

How long has Part P been about?

I am amazed / concerned that even now, there is so much confusion about self certification, even from electricians.

Dom 85 - I dont know who gave you the information, but they need to be shot.

part P started in 2005 and is only building regs, also they deemed at the same time to carry out electrical works on domestic dwellings you must be qualified to a minimum standard and belong to a organization such as NICEIC. Surely this can only be a good thing. Its a start, stop slagging it off. The reason why you get the bodging kitchen fitters is because they pay a lot of money for the fast track courses. This i think where the problem lies. If you complete the courses properly and are a proffesional responsible trades man then you would be more than capable to carry any domestic electricall works. I Personally think the NICEIC are quite strict on there domestic installer scheme and does eliminate your average idiot

hasel5

i agree,
i am a fully qualified spark with several years experience.
i am a member of the niceic as an approved contractor and also under their domestic installer status. i am not "qualified " by that scheme but approved to carry out all work in a domestic work in a dwelling without having to rope in the local building autority at 100 quid a go.
several colleges/training centres provide some sort of part p course which only really makes you aware of the regulations in place that are required when carrying out said works.if u ask me then no one apart from a qualified time spent spark should be working on electrics full stop. i have been called to many an example of the "part p qualified" kitchen fitter who has bodged some sockets in and documented the whole thing incorrectly. as for the 2391 qualification this is not a necesatity but highly reccomended for joining the scheme with the niceic. as long as you can demonstrate good working knowlage then this is deemed sufficient. sorry for the rant, hope this helps.

If thats the case he can't be NICEIC registered as there inspectors are quite good and will not let you join the scheme if your testing is not up to scratch. Maybe the kitchen fitter is a lying cowboy and your taring everyone with the same brush:)

NICEIC are no different to Napit, ECA or Elecsa as they are all government approved scheme's and all have Inspectors to inspect there members work and qualifications.

NICEIC are no different to Napit, ECA or Elecsa as they are all government approved scheme's and all have Inspectors to inspect there members work and qualifications.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply they were, just using NICEIC as an example

I'm starting the 2391 in febuary. Because I'm looking for work, while on jobseekers, any course which is under 16 hrs a week is paid for by them. You can do your 2391 if you have your 16th edition but not your 17th. You have to take your certificate when you get inducted. Also part P is only for non qualified electricians who do minor electrics in their jobs such as kitchen fitters, gas engineers etc.

i rang my local college that do the 2391 up they said if i was unemployed i would not get any help what so ever.So your saying that you get it paid for if your claiming job seekers allowance?
And im only 16th edition,are you sure you can not take it if you have taken the 17th 3 day course,why would it make any difference?

Reply to confused about part P do i need it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock