Discuss Confused about voltage on machine in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

duya74

DIY
Reaction score
Sorry this question may sound silly, but I really don't know anything about electricity so I'm just asking to make sure.

So, recently I bought a machine from the U.S via Amazon. In the instructions of the Amazon page, it said to plug the machine into a 110V socket, but our countries run on a 240 voltage. So I was thinking about buying a voltage adapter, but I haven't found a proper one near my area. Also, while looking at the machine, I saw that this was written on it: Residual Current Operated Circuit Breaker ~ 32A 230V 500 50Hz. So does this mean that I can safely use the machine without an adapter? I'm a little confused.

I attached pictures for further clarifications. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 45
the voltage rating of the RCD is the max. operationg voltage it will handle. irrevalent to your machine requirements. which need a 110V supply. plug it into 230V and it will fry. you need a step down transformer 230/110V. whether the machine will work on 50Hz. is another matter.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/carroll-meynell-750va-step-down-isolation-transformer-110v/61847

something like this is what you need.

The sort of site transformer that @James linked to is your best choice as they are rated for professional use and are safe if the area is a bit wet, which I expect a pottery machine might well be needing. You will see many others on Amazon for less but they are often not up to the job and/or not as safe.

However, you will need to have a 110V 16A "commando" style plug fitted so it can be plugged in to the transformer, something like this:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/abb-16a-2p-e-16a-straight-plug-2p-e-110v/7916x

They are not too hard to fit but if you really have no electrical skills and appropriate tools to strip and prepare the cable it might be best to get a local electrician along to fit and check it.

Also be aware the USA has different cable colour codes from the UK/EU:
black or red = L (live/line = "hot")
white = N (neutral = "cold")
green or green/yellow = E (earth = "ground")

Last edited:
As above, if it requires 110V you must use a transformer, but as this does not convert the frequency, it still might not work optimally. The speed controller might not achieve its normal control range on your 50Hz supply.

Sorry this question may sound silly, but I really don't know anything about electricity so I'm just asking to make sure.

So, recently I bought a machine from the U.S via Amazon. In the instructions of the Amazon page, it said to plug the machine into a 110V socket, but our countries run on a 240 voltage. So I was thinking about buying a voltage adapter, but I haven't found a proper one near my area. Also, while looking at the machine, I saw that this was written on it: Residual Current Operated Circuit Breaker ~ 32A 230V 500 50Hz. So does this mean that I can safely use the machine without an adapter? I'm a little confused.

I attached pictures for further clarifications. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
That is the voltage rating of the RCD, not the device. You will need a Site Transformer as used in the construction industry, with a VA (wattage) equal or than your device. The plug will need changing to suit the socket on the transformer.

This may come from my misunderstanding, but aren't site transformers centre tapped? Will the 55-0-55 be the same as 0-110, or would one of the US converter type devices be an easier approach?

"230 to 120v Transformer: US Voltage Converters | Airlink Transformers" 230 to 120v Transformer: US Voltage Converters | Airlink Transformers - https://airlinktransformers.com/category/america-uk-voltage-converters
My only thinking being, that if it has an rcd built in. Isn't it going to need an earth. The centre tapped supplies don't have earths to my knowledge, just the 2 55's and a neutral. That was why I was thinking the US converters with earth might be better?

Yes, UK style site transformers are 55-0-55 to reduce the risk of a fatal shock on building sites, etc, so the max voltage to true Earth should only be 55V (just 10% above the normally accepted safe limit of 50V AC).

However, that should not cause any problems for the unit as you just have its L & N on the two opposite 55V outlets leading to 110V between them. The load should not ever be connected to E intentionally, that is something prohibited by the UK's ESQCR (Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations) and is much the same in most other countries at this time.

Yes that is a better option. I don't recommend site tool transformers for running US gear as both poles should be switched and fused on a CT-E supply. In a US appliance with a 3-prong or polarised 2-prong plug the manufacturer may have considered the neutral to be earthed. In any case the OP is not in the UK and probably won't find tool transformers on sale. FWIW the 110V rating instead of 120 is a bit odd. OP Please can we see the data plate?

Reply to Confused about voltage on machine in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net