Discuss confused over ecs card.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

khemist

Hi all my situation is an awkward one and I need clarification please.
I am an installation/service/integrated electronic security/door access multi-skilled technician - wow a mouthful!
I have been in this industry 27 years - I have 236 pt 1 and 2 I have c+g 185 pt 1 2 3 intruder alarms and 16th edition qualifications obtained in 1988 after a 3 year apprenticeship in intruder alarms

I have just been asked for the first time in my career for a ecs card, no problem, however it would appear from there site my qualifications are useless... do I need to do an NVQ does my qualifications mean its better than an NVQ?

Do I need to get my 17th edition? I do not do any sparks work apart from spur connections power supply connections other than that all work is low voltage

I decided to go back to full time employment got a great package then when it came to the card I never had I failed!

Help please.

khemist

From my understanding, and i could be wrong - so someone else may help out better...

You need an NVQ if you're applying for a card as from now...if you've had one before, and you're renewing/updating then you don't need the NVQ. But if you are new, and you've never had one before you do - thus leaving people like you in a completley sh** situations, one which i actually find a bit unfair.

Yes to 17th though.

(i stand to be corrected)

Thanks, I thought so, No I have never had one never been asked for one, I have always worked with contractors architects and the owners where my reputation and knowledge preceded me now I am dumfounded, I need to work and need money, last time I was employed as opposed to s/e was 10 years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why they've brought in the NVQ rule - because the NVQ is hard graft, and it does show compentence. However, in cases like youres where you've clearlly been working for years + you have the old 236 pt1&2 then common sense needs to be applied.

Have you tried contacting them and enquiring / explaining your posistion?

- - - Updated - - -

I can see why they've brought in the NVQ rule - because the NVQ is hard graft, and it does show compentence. However, in cases like youres where you've clearlly been working for years + you have the old 236 pt1&2 then common sense needs to be applied.

When did you get the card though, im pretty sure its all changed recently.

Like i said in my first post though, i stand to be correct, and if thats correct shanky then so be it. Im not 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

I did call them they said I can use my qualifications but I must have a reference from an employer for the last ten years..... The 11 different building firms and contractor I worked for has gone under over a year ago I am now at a loss hence going back to fulltime.

Ahh that's abit crap, can't you send them photo examples of your work instead then?

Or can you get in touch with the people that ran these companies?

Thats the thing it turns out most of those companies were run by 1 man because of the recent greece and cyprus issues he has ducked out because of money issues - I can get references from all the clients who are high profile millionaires but not sure if this still counts as employers

yeah, i maybe chose the wrong words there and i appologise.

Not really sure what else to suggest though, you're going to have to try your old clients for references and see if they'll accept it.

Did the job say you needed the Gold card or just any type of ECS/CSCS? There are different categories and you may fall into on of them. I don't understand why they didn't give you the job because your not working as an Electrician but as Alarm Engineer.

it may well be that you just need the H&S ECS card. this is a £35 done in a day job. contact ECA for details of locations etc.

From my understanding, and i could be wrong - so someone else may help out better...

You need an NVQ if you're applying for a card as from now...if you've had one before, and you're renewing/updating then you don't need the NVQ. But if you are new, and you've never had one before you do - thus leaving people like you in a completley sh** situations, one which i actually find a bit unfair.

Yes to 17th though.

(i stand to be corrected)

have you got a ECS card markc123 ?

as to the OP , use the forum topic search as i've personally answered the question several times recently.
and you dont need the nvq l3. for the gold card if you trained before 1999.

Thanks for you guys help you have got me thinking and I think I may have found a temp. solution, yes it is the gold card, however I have seen an angle to get a lesser card for now with the help of some gold member friends of mine, now its to get it quick!

Its not that they did not give me the job, I have panicked when I was told Friday evening about the card due to the type of premises, this is why I did not search the forum properly, I have left it in the air with the employer but I am on the case for the H+s test then the card pronto...

Its not that they did not give me the job, I have panicked when I was told Friday evening about the card due to the type of premises, this is why I did not search the forum properly, I have left it in the air with the employer but I am on the case for the H+s test then the card pronto...

You said that you lost 40k year job? Also when you apply for a card it takes upto six weeks to get your card.

Reply to confused over ecs card.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net