Discuss Confused! Plese help.. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

An old electrician here, I'm not actively in the trade anymore but I'm currently studding for my part P and might go for the 17th as some time. I learnt under the 15th, I have the 16th, the home study course I'm doing details a number of drawings which I've disputed with the company, they have confirmed that the drawing below is correct. I'm really confused, a phase connected to an earth via a breaker, can someone please help??

Confused! Plese help.. upload_2017-8-31_19-9-40 - EletriciansForums.net

Erm, I don't think that's quite right...

Hi, I don't want to mention the company in case of copy right on the drawing, but it's an online course. I know I've been out of the game for a few years but i've never seen anything like it!
Got to be a misprint, do you,or are you intending to join one of the CP Schemes? if so speak to their technical department, when you called the company did you speak to a technical person, or some customer service muppet with no technical knowledge.

Got to be a misprint, do you,or are you intending to join one of the CP Schemes? if so speak to their technical department, when you called the company did you speak to a technical person, or some customer service muppet with no technical knowledge.

Thanks, not sure about a CP scheme, i'll follow that up. This is their reply:

Our subject matter expert who is an electrical installations lecturer at an FE College and a City & Guilds examiner has reviewed the images and confirms they are correct.

Thanks for your interest

Thanks, not sure about a CP scheme, i'll follow that up. This is their reply:

Our subject matter expert who is an electrical installations lecturer at an FE College and a City & Guilds examiner has reviewed the images and confirms they are correct.

Thanks for your interest
Get in touch with the City and Guilds for an explanation

Just thought I'd give you an update. I replied to the online course author and questioned again the accuracy of the drawing. This is there reply:

"Michael,
Our electrical installations author has responded.
You have sharper eyes than our picture editor and than our author first time around. You are correct, there should be no connection between the earth and neutral. Even I, a publisher and not an electrician can see the error.

We have corrected and republished the diagrams.
Thank you for this. It is not often errors are found and we very much appreciate when they are pointed out to us and we have the opportunity to make corrections"

Make me wonder what else is wrong in the on-line course!

Thanks for your input.

Regards

When they've re-drawn it, you could get them to post it on here. It'll get a proper checking.
(There's loads wrong apart from the N/E issue. For a start, if they're going to show a neutral bar there should be two of them, and two wires in the same MET hole is poor.)

Reply to Confused! Plese help.. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock