Discuss Confused problem!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ryan82

Hi
I went to a property today to check some lights that had stopped working. When i got there the customer pointed me at the kitchen. There was 4 spots in the kitchen and they were not switching on. I dropped the lights and checked if there was power them (had to start somewhere). I found that all the lights were wired into one junction box. When i tested the junction box, there was a phase but no neutral. I removed the switch to find that it had been wired in using, wait for it, 4mm twin and earth!!!!, but the cable in the junction box was 1.5mm. I thought, where ever these are connected the neutral must have come out, but, both cables in the switch (red and black 4mm) were live constantly. Even when disconnected from switch!!!
And there was no earth either.... i mean there was a cable but it was like it wasnt connected to anything.

Obviously this needs sorting to meet standards etc etc. But i got confused because when testing conti between red and black in switch (whilst no power) there was nothing, and yet, both cables were constantly live when energised.

Can anyone shed a little light on this. Am i missing something really simple.

Sounds like a bodge job. Now they have an electrician in to sort it out you need to investigate futher. Noone can tell you how this has been wired without looking at it.

The light switch sounds like is a water heater supply or anything. You need to trace back the cables from the lights and see where they go.

If its exactly as you describe it, anyone would have been confused - don`t be too hard on yourself

But the question we`re all wondering is, how the hell would it ever have worked???

Lets start at the beginning again. What exactly were the D/L s wired to, & what else ran off? How exactly did you establish there was no Neutral?

As to the switch, if it was as you say (& i`m not doubting you - seen too many shockers) it`d obviously not been switching anything...

How, exactly did you establish these were live?

And after testing, what precisely did you isolate (just that cct i`m guessing) before conducting your conti test?

Last edited by a moderator:
But i got confused because when testing conti between red and black in switch (whilst no power) there was nothing, and yet, both cables were constantly live when energised.

If they are indeed permanant live and switched live,then with the power off there would be no continuity between them,because the permananent live would be back to the supply overcurrent and the switched live through the lamps back to the neutral,so no continuity would be found
How was the test for live present at both conductors carried out?
If you were using( perhaps ) a voltstick then you may have been just seeing an inductance

It seems that there must be another junction that you need to locate

Yep, got to be another JB somewhere...Probably never worked. I will hazard that the client botched it recently, and is keeping shtum to avoid their own embarrassment.

Can of worms, and proceed with caution.

Yooj

DIY Cock uo by the sounds of things,

Wife-Do you know what you are doing?

Hubby- Yes dear I do (Not really but it should be easy)

Wife-Get an electrician in you moron.

Thanks guys. very much appreciated. in regards to the joke... its very funny because thats just what the couple were like!!!!!

once again cheers

Reply to Confused problem!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net