Discuss confused? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

halls1379

Am I right in thinking having c & g level 2 & 3 and 17th is deemed sufficient to be classed as competent and you can work self employed?

It's such a confusing industry!

You can join a part p scheme with those qualifications for sure. As for running your own business, experience is vastly important.
What will be your main target area of work ? Domestic ? Commercial ? Industrial ?
Bear in mind your quals will not get you a JIB card so may limit your access to certain work within certain areas of the industry.

I was hoping to get experience first with and employer but if not then thought about going the domestic installer route whilst doing my nvq

Am I right in thinking having c & g level 2 & 3 and 17th is deemed sufficient to be classed as competent and you can work self employed?

It's such a confusing industry!

This is a massive area that encompasses many scenarios. You would be suitably 'qualified' in terms of running a sole-trader outfit, but 'suitably experienced' is subjective and something only you can answer.

As far as qualifying for the rate 'on-site' then you would have to get the AM2 and NVQ3 and then apply for JIB grading as an Electrician.

Hope that helps.

I was hoping to get experience first with and employer but if not then thought about going the domestic installer route whilst doing my nvq

Really? Getting 'experience' on unsuspecting consumer's housing is something you think is acceptable? I hope you adjust your rate downwards to compensate them for the extra length of time it will take, and the mistakes you will make.

I'm asking if that's what people deem as competent, I'm asking for advice which you're first reply gave! I've been studying for 3 years so far so I haven't done a Micky mouse course I've been following the "proper" Channels!

I'm asking if that's what people deem as competent, I'm asking for advice which you're first reply gave! I've been studying for 3 years so far so I haven't done a Micky mouse course I've been following the "proper" Channels!

although deserving of worthy acknowledgement , you need a year or 2 out on the tools to supplement your classroom studies.

yes..you can work as a self employer but you cant sign of you work..with this qualification you are electrician and competent person..but dont forgot to work a self employer you have to have many experiences work on electrical installation industry..you have to deal with many many different situation on your work and some time can be on very badly situation on front of client if you cant deal a problem..how do you think if you see your electrician on your house who cant let say fix 2 way switch..

you can do them but try to have any friend who its more experiences than you to get advice from them..no one its born electrician but school cannot do you a good electrician.

Last edited:
I was led to believe that AM2 was part and parcel of C&G 2330 level 3?? Congratulations on taking the time and making the effort going down the correct channels on becoming a qualified electrician to date. Anyways let's start from the beginning, what work experience do you have at the moment??

BTW you'll never achieve an appropriate NVQ working as a domestic installer, as the work doesn't cover the spectrum required!!

yes..you can work as a self employer but you cant sign of you work..with this qualification you are electrician and competent person..but dont forgot to work a self employer you have to have many experiences work on electrical installation industry..you have to deal with many many different situation on your work and some time can be on very badly situation on front of client if you cant deal a problem..how do you think if you see your electrician on your house who cant let say fix 2 way switch..

Can you re-write this post in English please!! lol!!

I now have someone that I'm going to be able to work alongside whilst I do my nvq, hopefully lead to something more permanent whilst I'm learning, so at least I'm doing everything through the right channels

I now have someone that I'm going to be able to work alongside whilst I do my nvq, hopefully lead to something more permanent whilst I'm learning, so at least I'm doing everything through the right channels

Are you saying that you have Zero electrical installation working experience??

I was led to believe that AM2 was part and parcel of C&G 2330 level 3?? Congratulations on taking the time and making the effort going down the correct channels on becoming a qualified electrician to date. Anyways let's start from the beginning, what work experience do you have at the moment??

BTW you'll never achieve an appropriate NVQ working as a domestic installer, as the work doesn't cover the spectrum required!!

I think thats classed as a AM1 although ime not 100% sure on this.
I never did my AM2 and was never asked to, But when I did inquire into it there was nowhere local that offered it anyways as apparently its a JIB thing and nobody else can be arsed with it.

Reply to confused? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock