Discuss Confusion on lighting circuit in new build flat in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ralshtovski

Hi guys,

I popped in late yesterday to change two 3 pin bayonet energy save fittings to a couple of fancy fittings for a mate in his 'L' shaped hallway. Both lights are individually switched at either end of the hallway.

I don't do much domestic sparking as am a facotry spark so never really encountered anything strange or out of the ordinary, and this is the first new build i've worked on, ive changed all the other fittings previously.

I jumped up with poor lighting conditions and whipped the fittings up only to realise they stayed permanently on. I had crossed the loop and S/L terminals, so jumped up and swapped them back only for neither light to work. Long sotry short I've totally frazzled myself with where all the circuitry goes and was just looking to shed some light. (excuse the pun)

I was slightly confused that the light by the front door in the hallway had a blue/black connected together with brown sleeving. as well as a grey (blue sleeved). the light also has the incoming blue neutral and 3 browns.
The switch for it has:
L1 - Black (brown sleeved)
L2 - Brown x 2
L3 - Grey/Blue (Brown sleeved)

I couldn't understand why there are multiple conductors if no strappers for two way lighting?

The other hallway light contains:
brown x 2 (one live incoming feed)
Blue Neutral
Grey (blue sleeve)
Black (brown sleeve)

Switch:
L1 - Black (brown sleeve)
L2 - Brown
L3 - grey (brown sleeve)

My mate went on holiday for a week so i'm going to pop in and sort it for him, just wondered if anyone can explain what's going on before i go back and play?
Sorry its all a bit vague.

brown /grey are strappers. the other pair in L2 and L3 of the sw1 are your switch wire at the fitting/s

So in that case it is two way switched, i was thrown off as he said they switched individually. but of course that makes sense.
Why have I got a black and blue connected together in the first fitting?
and the blue sleeved grey in the other fitting?

sounds like the installer may have used 3 core to connecrt the 2 fittings. in which case those will be sw.L and |N.

Reply to Confusion on lighting circuit in new build flat in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net