Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss confussed apprentice! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lukese

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi people, i have been an "apprentice" for well over five years now, i did a JTL course and still get visits now. i have done my AM2 which i passed first time and enjoyed the feeling, felt good.

my problem is this logbook thing, i havnt done it yet and it is holding me up, JTL are giving me no guidance on this thing, its a long storie but today i got a call sayin gif it isnt done by the 15th of may ill be off the programme! if they kick me of is there any other way i can get my gold card from the JIB? without going back to college for a few years, ive sat a 5 year apprentiship as for as im concerned and im good at my job, i often run my own jobs now.

anyway thats my info any advice??

Thanks alot

Luke

(oh by the way i am gonna do my best to get the log book done and i dont see it being a problem i just see JTL as such a too bit organisation and would love to tell them to stick it and go my own way at getting the paper work but dont want to do it to hastly!

B

Bane

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
*Lines up the crosshairs for everyone else*

Nice first post lukese. Welcome to the site.

L

lukese

please explaine furher? why should i be flamed?

C

Cirrus

Don't worry, it's Banes way of being 'friendly':D

Welcome to the forum

W

wayne

if you got your am2 doesnt that put you at nvq level 3 leaving only the 239 to go?
ive got my gold card:)D)but ive never worked for a jib firm

C

Cirrus

Yes Wayne but you need your AM2 & log book completed and signed off in order to recieve your 'ticket'

L

lukese

yeah this was my finding. they withhold one cert untill the logbook is complete. this then entitles you to a gold card.

D

dnsltd

I am confused as to what level's are what!! I have the gold card you speak of....(& so does an electrician i know of who has set up his own company). It states i am an Installation Electrician on the front, with NVQ Level 3 + IEE Wiring Regs16th edition to the rear.
I realise i need the Part P to now work on domestic premises, but where do i go from here to do that and to update to 17th edition?
Cheers. PS. I did my AM2 and the logbookcrap. that was a nightmare for me as well and i ended up "borrowing" a job or two just to get through.

C

Cirrus

I work in domestic and don't have part P. My co is NIC though so I test and inspect that way. Are you gonna work for an employer or yourself?

S

Shakey

I am confused as to what level's are what!! I have the gold card you speak of....(& so does an electrician i know of who has set up his own company). It states i am an Installation Electrician on the front, with NVQ Level 3 + IEE Wiring Regs16th edition to the rear.
I realise i need the Part P to now work on domestic premises, but where do i go from here to do that and to update to 17th edition?
Cheers. PS. I did my AM2 and the logbookcrap. that was a nightmare for me as well and i ended up "borrowing" a job or two just to get through.
part P is only a building regulation, you cant 'get' Part P or 'Do' Part P

D

dnsltd

part P is only a building regulation, you cant 'get' Part P or 'Do' Part P
So how come there are vans driving around with Part P / Approved advertising the fact? And it's common knowledge that in order to work on a domestic property you should have part p :confused:
If it's a building reg, then can't i just read a book and be done??

How are most people updating to 17th edition?? Anyone know where in Gloucester i can do it?

Cheers

S

Shakey

So how come there are vans driving around with Part P / Approved advertising the fact? And it's common knowledge that in order to work on a domestic property you should have part p :confused:

How are most people updating to 17th edition?? Anyone know where in Gloucester i can do it?

Cheers
Yes you can just read a book and be done

As a 'qualified' electrician, you just have to show you have knowledge of the building regs

You may sit EAL DEI 001 - Applicable Building Regs for Domstic Installations , this is a hlaf day course

Like I said you cant 'get' Part P. You can register with a competent persons scheme in accordance with Part P, or you mau choose to pay the LABC fee for each job after pre-notifying, depends how much domestic work you do

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms

Cheers
You can download the Part P of the Building Regs from the web. It used to be at the Office Deputy Prime Minister web site but here is link to Part P Approved Document P: Electrical Safety - Dwellings (2006 edition) - Planning, building and the environment - Communities and Local Government

Last edited:

Reply to confussed apprentice! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom