Discuss confussed apprentice! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lukese

hi people, i have been an "apprentice" for well over five years now, i did a JTL course and still get visits now. i have done my AM2 which i passed first time and enjoyed the feeling, felt good.

my problem is this logbook thing, i havnt done it yet and it is holding me up, JTL are giving me no guidance on this thing, its a long storie but today i got a call sayin gif it isnt done by the 15th of may ill be off the programme! if they kick me of is there any other way i can get my gold card from the JIB? without going back to college for a few years, ive sat a 5 year apprentiship as for as im concerned and im good at my job, i often run my own jobs now.

anyway thats my info any advice??

Thanks alot

Luke

(oh by the way i am gonna do my best to get the log book done and i dont see it being a problem i just see JTL as such a too bit organisation and would love to tell them to stick it and go my own way at getting the paper work but dont want to do it to hastly!

if you got your am2 doesnt that put you at nvq level 3 leaving only the 239 to go?
ive got my gold card:)D)but ive never worked for a jib firm

Yes Wayne but you need your AM2 & log book completed and signed off in order to recieve your 'ticket'

I am confused as to what level's are what!! I have the gold card you speak of....(& so does an electrician i know of who has set up his own company). It states i am an Installation Electrician on the front, with NVQ Level 3 + IEE Wiring Regs16th edition to the rear.
I realise i need the Part P to now work on domestic premises, but where do i go from here to do that and to update to 17th edition?
Cheers. PS. I did my AM2 and the logbookcrap. that was a nightmare for me as well and i ended up "borrowing" a job or two just to get through.

I work in domestic and don't have part P. My co is NIC though so I test and inspect that way. Are you gonna work for an employer or yourself?

I am confused as to what level's are what!! I have the gold card you speak of....(& so does an electrician i know of who has set up his own company). It states i am an Installation Electrician on the front, with NVQ Level 3 + IEE Wiring Regs16th edition to the rear.
I realise i need the Part P to now work on domestic premises, but where do i go from here to do that and to update to 17th edition?
Cheers. PS. I did my AM2 and the logbookcrap. that was a nightmare for me as well and i ended up "borrowing" a job or two just to get through.

part P is only a building regulation, you cant 'get' Part P or 'Do' Part P

part P is only a building regulation, you cant 'get' Part P or 'Do' Part P

So how come there are vans driving around with Part P / Approved advertising the fact? And it's common knowledge that in order to work on a domestic property you should have part p :confused:
If it's a building reg, then can't i just read a book and be done??

How are most people updating to 17th edition?? Anyone know where in Gloucester i can do it?

Cheers

So how come there are vans driving around with Part P / Approved advertising the fact? And it's common knowledge that in order to work on a domestic property you should have part p :confused:

How are most people updating to 17th edition?? Anyone know where in Gloucester i can do it?

Cheers

Yes you can just read a book and be done

As a 'qualified' electrician, you just have to show you have knowledge of the building regs

You may sit EAL DEI 001 - Applicable Building Regs for Domstic Installations , this is a hlaf day course

Like I said you cant 'get' Part P. You can register with a competent persons scheme in accordance with Part P, or you mau choose to pay the LABC fee for each job after pre-notifying, depends how much domestic work you do

Cheers

You can download the Part P of the Building Regs from the web. It used to be at the Office Deputy Prime Minister web site but here is link to Part P Approved Document P: Electrical Safety - Dwellings (2006 edition) - Planning, building and the environment - Communities and Local Government

Last edited:

Reply to confussed apprentice! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock