Discuss Connect Sockets To Shed Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

The shed is supplied with 6mm Swa on a 25amp rcbo. Inside the shed is a 20amp socket circuit and a 5 amp lighting circuit.

Can I add a junction box to the supply cable about mid way and radial off that box to a double socket?

a 32amp radial requires 4mm, and a 20amp radial is 2.5mm. But is there anything saying I can’t add a double socket to a shed supply cable when the cable size and rcbo both seem satisfactory?

thank you for reading and helping if you can

Agreed, should be ok providing it’s done properly: ie
Glanded properly to the new socket making sure that the earthing if the armour is properly carried through the new socket to the shed. Do you know how to terminate SWA cable?

Sounds like the SWA is not buried then and that you have enough slack in the cable to insert the socket?

Hello,

The shed is supplied with 6mm Swa on a 25amp rcbo. Inside the shed is a 20amp socket circuit and a 5 amp lighting circuit.

Can I add a junction box to the supply cable about mid way and radial off that box to a double socket?

a 32amp radial requires 4mm, and a 20amp radial is 2.5mm. But is there anything saying I can’t add a double socket to a shed supply cable when the cable size and rcbo both seem satisfactory?

thank you for reading and helping if you can
No not a good idea

the existing SWA is in reality a distribution curcuit. , i'd prefer to run a 2.5mm SWA from shed sockets back to the new external socket.

the existing SWA is in reality a distribution curcuit. , i'd prefer to run a 2.5mm SWA from shed sockets back to the new external socket.
Presently it's a distribution circuit with a 25a RCBO protective device, not ideal. Add a socket halfway along and it becomes a final circuit with a DB at the far end the only useful purpose of which is downrating the lighting OCPD. The DB could equally be replaced by one or two FCU's for the power and lighting. But whats the point, the DB achieves the same result.
Of course the OP could do as you suggest, indeed it would be preferable, but what he proposes is absolutely fine if it's more practical.

The SWA has been installed as a DISTRIBUTION CIRCUIT, if you meed a socket halfway from the outbuilding wire it from the CU

The SWA has been installed as a DISTRIBUTION CIRCUIT, if you meed a socket halfway from the outbuilding wire it from the CU
or wait till that clever bloke dyson invents a wireless socket. it will not work, however once the 12 month guarantee has expired.

thanks for the replies everyone.

i can terminate swa fine. i'll use the wiska earth nuts to bond the armour.

wiring a second swa along the same route as the 6mm just for the sockets sounds like it would be ugly as it's going to be all surface mounted.

the internal shed sockets are 2.5mm radials off the shed cu's 20amp breaker.

I could put in a 20 amp rcbo instead of the 25, do away with the CU in the shed and just have the lights off a spur on the sockets so that it's just one long socket circuit?

I could put in a 20 amp rcbo instead of the 25, do away with the CU in the shed and just have the lights off a spur on the sockets so that it's just one long socket circuit?
That would be fine and probably the best option if your preferred method is to install the socket on the 6.0mm SWA.
Three options are now on the table. Your original proposal, the option of wiring from the shed DB which you have discounted, and the above you yourself have suggested. All three are viable and safe if correctly carried out.

Sounds the best option.

Depending on the route, slack, etc, if you try cutting and joining mid-cable you run the risk of running out of free cable to do the job properly (if at all).

Sounds the best option.

Depending on the route, slack, etc, if you try cutting and joining mid-cable you run the risk of running out of free cable to do the job properly (if at all).
Well you'd hope that if the OP is joining mid-cable he'd have sufficient intelligence to verify that before proceeding!!

so if i add sockets to this 6mm shed supply cable would it come under any codes on an eicr?
It would depend a lot on how it is done.

The proper installation of a socket from the cable by means of a junction box or similar is not fundamentally wrong or unsafe, but if the implementation was lacking, or it failed on some key measurement, then it could be an issue.

You would be better putting in a junction box that can satisfactory terminate 2 * 6mm and something like 2.5mm for running to a socket, as already said you will really struggle to get 2*6mm in a typical socket back safely.

Also by putting in a socket there you are ruling out a later instillation of mini-CU in the garage, etc, as you could no longer consider that as a sub-main feed from some other breaker or fused-switch to make that sort of thing work well. So think ahead very carefully here!

Also by putting in a socket there you are ruling out a later instillation of mini-CU in the garage, etc, as you could no longer consider that as a sub-main feed from some other breaker or fused-switch to make that sort of thing work well. So think ahead very carefully here!

Sorry, I don’t quite understand this bit. You mean if I put a socket on the 6mm distribution supply cable I won’t be able to add new circuits to the shed CU?

thank you for helping me

Reply to Connect Sockets To Shed Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net