Discuss Connecting 2 12v fans in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I need some help with this:
I have a Xbox one S where I connected 2 Fans (there is usually just 1 ) parallel to the 12v sourve from the motherboard. Fan 1 has 22mA and Fan 2 has 29mA.

My Question now is, if there is any risk to burn something. I dont know how much amp is delivered by the sourcre and i dont have a multimeter to find it out.Also it seems like that both of them are not spinning at full speed, maybe at 70%.

thanks for help :)

Sorry I can’t help you here....but I have to ask why??

Welcome to the forum mate.
If you are worried about your Xbox One S getting too hot, wouldn't it be better to get something that is built for it that gets it's power from a USB socket?

first, thanks for replying :)

I have 2 Fans so i decided to try it like I did so i dont have to spend extra money.

The most important question for me is, if i'm connecting 2 fans 12v to a 12v source , I mean the worst thing that could happen is that they are spinning slower than 1 alone, because they are sharing the source , right? or could there burn something?

I just want to understand this :D

If they are wired in parallel then they will both receive the full voltage and therefore spin at the same speed.

Whether the power supply has enough spare capacity is another matter.

I've got very limited gaming console experience but there's probably a temperature sensor on the main heat sink which is used by the motherboard to speed control the fan. It may also cause the fan to run for a while even after the console is switched off.

Reactions: DPG
Yes.

You could possibly burn out the power supply. Do you know what the power supply is rated to?

I can tell you the specs of the power supply, yes.

But the fans are connected to a plug on the motherboard, and not to the supply, so this specs of the power supply don't help me, or do they??

thanks for replying :)

Everything is fed from the power supply though.

Haha, I know :D
But to calculate whether it could handle 2 12v fans with the power supply specs, I would need to care about everything what needs power inside of the xbox (disk drive, hdd...)

Have you confirmed there is a steady 12VDC at the connector?

It should, yes.
unfortunately I have nothing to check it :/
All I could say is that before I installed the second fan, the first one ran at 100% speed.
When I wired the second fan parallel, they where running at the same speed, maybe 70 %.

You need to check that is is definitely a source of 12VDC.

Ok so I found out that there is enough space.
It delivers 10 amps ( the power supply) and it needs 35-90Watt so at highest 7-8 amps.

But I dont understand why the fans are spinning the same speed , but just at 70-80% of the full speed. If I connect 1 fan , it runs at 100% and sounds like a jet. when I connect Both wired parallel, they are spinning at 70-80%

Right, but is the connector you are connecting the fans to definitely connected to the 12V supply rail?

.............It delivers 10 amps ( the power supply) and it needs 35-90Watt so at highest 7-8 amps..............
What size wires have you used to connect them? 7-8 Amps needs a relatively thick wire, if the wires are too thin then it will mean the voltage across the actual fans will be reduced.

His fans don't need that much current.

Just in case there are not 12v, what I dont think, what does that mean for the fans?

If it isn't a 12VDC feed at that connector then it means the fans won't run correctly and you may also cause damage to the console.

I meant the Conse itself needs 7-8 amps when playing high graphic games.
the fans have 0.22 and 0.29 amps
The supply gives 10 amps.
I just want to figure out why 1 fan connected to the plug will run at 100% of speed and both parallel run at the same speed at 70-80%

Reply to Connecting 2 12v fans in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock