Discuss Connecting 2 12v fans in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As I keep saying, you don't know if that connector is a 12VDC feed. So it is no surprise that the fans don't run correctly.

But the fans are connected to a plug on the motherboard, and not to the supply

That connector for the fan may have a current limiting factor build into it, to protect the one fan.
If you have connected both fans to this connector that has only been designed for one fan then there may not be enough power to run both fans.

I have another question.
Would it be okay to twist the + of both fans together and same with - and the plug it into the connector of the motherboard 0.0

I have another question.
Would it be okay to twist the + of both fans together and same with - and the plug it into the connector of the motherboard 0.0

Plug it into which connector? The same one you are already using?

Please answer: Do you know that this connector you have found gives 12VDC out at the needed current?

yes I know it,
thanks for your reply :).

I meant if I could twist + and + of both fans and both - together and connect the twisted + of the fans to the + of the source and same with the -

Do you understand what I mean? I'm sorry if this question is stupid but I'm no electrician.

I understand what you mean with how you are connecting them rogether yes. This is wiring in parallel, and means both fans will receive the same voltage.

yes I know it,
thanks for your reply :).

I meant if I could twist + and + of both fans and both - together and connect the twisted + of the fans to the + of the source and same with the -

Do you understand what I mean? I'm sorry if this question is stupid but I'm no electrician.

You will still have the same problem if that connector for the one fan has a current limiting factor build into it.

Reactions: DPG
I'm thankful for all your replys , DPG and Spoon , thanks :).

If I connect them in series and we don't care about a limitation, would they both get 6V and spin almost the same speed ? IDK because they have different comsumption (0.2A and 0.29A) or is it not relevant.

I'm thankful for all your replys , DPG and Spoon , thanks :).

If I connect them in series and we don't care about a limitation, would they both get 6V and spin almost the same speed ? IDK because they have different comsumption (0.2A and 0.29A) or is it not relevant.

You are missing the point I think. Is this connector actually suitable for connecting a low impedance load (ie. fans) to it? Is it designed to give a steady DC power output?

fans in computers are not always driven at full speed, the speed is controlled by the computer either by regulating the voltage or pulsing the voltage on and off at many times per second (pwm).

it measures the temperature of the air inside the case and the cpu, calculates the amount of cooling required and speeds up or slows down the fans to control the temperature as required.

if you believe that things are running to hot, then it is most likely a temperature sensor either dislodged or faulty.
by fitting 2 fans doing the same job, I would expect them to run slower than a single fan as the controller is slowing them down as there is plenty of cooling happening.

are you concerned that it is running to hot?
adapting computers without fully understanding what you are doing can have the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve.

Reactions: DPG
I am connecting both fans parallel to the 12v DC source, where usually the standard fan is connected. So imagine just the xbox with 1 fan like i bought it and I just connect another one to the same 12v Plug where first was one

I am connecting both fans parallel to the 12v DC source, where usually the standard fan is connected. So imagine just the xbox with 1 fan like i bought it and I just connect another one to the same 12v Plug where first was one

So you are 100% sure that the connector is giving a steady 12VDC out then? I did ask this a while ago but you didn;t seem sure then.

fans in computers are not always driven at full speed, the speed is controlled by the computer either by regulating the voltage or pulsing the voltage on and off at many times per second (pwm).

it measures the temperature of the air inside the case and the cpu, calculates the amount of cooling required and speeds up or slows down the fans to control the temperature as required.

if you believe that things are running to hot, then it is most likely a temperature sensor either dislodged or faulty.
by fitting 2 fans doing the same job, I would expect them to run slower than a single fan as the controller is slowing them down as there is plenty of cooling happening.

are you concerned that it is running to hot?
adapting computers without fully understanding what you are doing can have the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve.

I dont know wether I said it before but I didn't connect the tac or sensor wires. just + and - of the fans

So your fans are 3 wire fans?

So your fans are 3 wire fans?
No , 4 Pin PWM. I thought I said jt before I'm sorry if I forgot to say that.
I know how to connect them to run on 5V 7V and 12V. I choosed 12V for both.

I might have misunderstood. I thought these were standard 12VDC fans.

Does someone know if on the package of the fan is: rated current: 0.29A .
Is that the consumption meant at highest speed?(at highest RPM)

Hello, I had a thread already where I wanted to know wether I could connect 2 Fans to 1 supply.

But now I have another problem.
I wired them parallel( + and - together of both fans into one plug).

How could I now check the voltage on each fan
with a multimeter?
to see what every fan gets.

Thanks for reply :)

If they are in parallel they will both receive the same voltage, which is the voltage of the supply.

I did try to explain this in the other thread, but I don't think I succeeded.

Reply to Connecting 2 12v fans in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock