Discuss Connecting 2 cables mid-wall... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Going to just twist them together, wrap them in tape and plaster them in, that ok?

:biggrin5::biggrin5:

ok, seriously!

Moved the lightswitch I've been wittering on about on another thread, all cables in safe zones finally... Unfortunatly, not got access to the origin of the cable, as the floor upstairs is laminated and I REALLY don't want to be pulling it up, so it looks like a joint is going to be needed mid-wall.

Don't want an unsightly box and blanking plate, want to use a maintainance free joint and plaster it in. Originally planned on Wagos in an enclosure, but can't seem to source them locally (no luck at Screwfix, Toolstation etc).

Anyone got any suggestions for me? I know a load of places I can order them from, but not got time to wait for delivery, the job really needs finishing tomorrow.

Going to just twist them together, wrap them in tape and plaster them in, that ok?

:biggrin5::biggrin5:

ok, seriously!

Moved the lightswitch I've been wittering on about on another thread, all cables in safe zones finally... Unfortunatly, not got access to the origin of the cable, as the floor upstairs is laminated and I REALLY don't want to be pulling it up, so it looks like a joint is going to be needed mid-wall.

Don't want an unsightly box and blanking plate, want to use a maintainance free joint and plaster it in. Originally planned on Wagos in an enclosure, but can't seem to source them locally (no luck at Screwfix, Toolstation etc).

Anyone got any suggestions for me? I know a load of places I can order them from, but not got time to wait for delivery, the job really needs finishing tomorrow.

Crimps maybe ??

I'm very new to the game, not encountered crimps. Easy to use?

Once connected, is it best to heat-sleeve them?

Last edited:
I'm very new to the game, not encountered crimps. Easy to use?

Once connected, is it best to heat-sleeve them?

Yes very easy to use - if you have a crimping tool.

I think a half decent one costs about £15 & crimps are quite cheap - the tool & crimps can be bought from Screwfix - and yes, it is good practice to heat sleeve them.

Thought it might be, sadly not got a heat gun with me... wonder if a hair dryer would be hot enough...

Cheers for your help!

Thought it might be, sadly not got a heat gun with me... wonder if a hair dryer would be hot enough...

Cheers for your help!

You're very welcome :)

If the hairdryer doesn't give enough heat, maybe try a cigarette lighter - but very carefully.

i.e. don't get the flame too close & keep it moving.

use crimps as suggested. stagger the joints. if it's 1.0mm or 1.5mm, use red crimps. make sure you don't strip too much insulation, only about 1/4". either buy a heat gun ( the ones used for paint stripping) and heat sleeve, or get some self-amalgamating tape. oh, and if you can but the crimps singly, which i doubt, they usually come in packs of 100, get a couple of spares in case you make a balls-up the first attempt. after crimping, give the cables a tug, make sure they're secure.

Reply to Connecting 2 cables mid-wall... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock