Discuss Connecting 2 neutral wires is tripping out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wheeto77

DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted in here the other week and thought I'd figured out my mistake but now I've landed with another problem.

I'm trying to replace 2 walls lights - like for like - the 2 lights are powered by a double switch in our living room. One switch controls 2 lights on one half of the room, the other powers another 2 on the other side. I've successfully got 2 lights up and working, but having issues with these last 2.

I'm making an educated guess that the wiring from the light switch comes to the first light fitting (as it has 2 brown, 2 blue and 2 earth wires) and then over to the 2nd light (which only has 1 brown, blue and earth).

I've fitted the 2nd light in the chain and after wiring up the 1st whenever I go to flick the breaker back on it instantly trips, after some experimenting I've found the breaker trips when I connect the 2 blue neutral wires.

Can somebody work out where I'm going wrong here? I'm basically grouping the 2 blue, brown and earth wires coming from the wall together and then wiring the corresponding wires from the light to these.

As far as I can remember this is how the previous light was wired in so I'm confused as to why it keeps tripping, have I exposed some of the wire back in the wall somewhere causing this issue?

I'll attach a photo of what I'm looking at, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys.Connecting 2 neutral wires is tripping out 20200327_101045 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Post a picture of the wiring in the back of the switch and the box.

This is the double switch, 1 switch does 2 lights on one side of the room, the other should do the other 2. Thanks.Connecting 2 neutral wires is tripping out 20200327_120523 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the two that function wired the same.

Is it easy to double check and post some pics.

If they worked previously if must be something you have done. Have you slapped all that filler into the wall.

If they worked previously if must be something you have done. Have you slapped all that filler into the wall.

Haha yes that was my poor attempt at filling the gaping hole that was hiding behind the previous light fitting, think it's worth digging the wires out again and checking they are ok?

Are there connections behind it.

It is possible you have screwed through one of the wires although from your pic it doesn't appear so. Can you show the other bracket and the breaker which is tripping.

Reply to Connecting 2 neutral wires is tripping out in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock