Discuss Connecting a Brake Light Module to control all 3 brake lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

chippy818

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
I need detailed assistance badly. I am trying to connect a Brake Light Module or a "Flasher" to my brake lights for attention but I want to control all 3 lights when brake is applied, rather than just the 3rd brake light or the main brake lights. The instruction for the product looks simple enough but it clearly isn't for this poor lost soul.

The product is Brake Light Module and I have attached the instructions. I am installing it on my 18' Toyota Tacoma and the color of the wires confuse me entirely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Scan Jan 31, 2019 at 8.16 AM.pdf
    550.4 KB · Views: 8
You might find that all your brake lights are connected together anyway, so probably will get all 3 coming on anyway.

You might find that all your brake lights are connected together anyway, so probably will get all 3 coming on anyway.
Thanks. Unfortunately I wish that were the case. Well it’s a little bit more complex than that. All three brake lights are independence but must come together at some junction but figuring out where that is is another case. I tried seeing if that connection point is right below the brake pedal but without knowing the color schematics I wouldn’t even know how to start and the last thing I will need Is to start cutting and splicing with no real educated guess. I was hoping somebody would know how to proceed.

switch connected to brake pedal. 12V feed in, other terminal is 12V out to all brake lights. this is where you need to piggyback your alternative activation.

Are you sure they aren't commoned together? Is it a modern car with CANbus etc?

switch connected to brake pedal. 12V feed in, other terminal is 12V out to all brake lights. this is where you need to piggyback your alternative activation.
So here is my brake pedal and wire harness disconnected to see the color code. I was thinking this very same thing. The wire harness does not have much slack so I wanbted to be 100% before I attempt to start tapping and connecting the 12v feed in and then the 12v feedout. Now to determine which is in and which is out is another concern. Thoughts?
[automerge]1581628100[/automerge]
Are you sure they aren't commoned together? Is it a modern car with CANbus etc?
a modern car. 2018 Toyota Tacoma.

Attachments

• Connecting a Brake Light Module to control all 3 brake lights IMG_1381.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1381.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Connecting a Brake Light Module to control all 3 brake lights IMG_1380.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1380.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 10
So here is my brake pedal and wire harness disconnected to see the color code. I was thinking this very same thing. The wire harness does not have much slack so I wanbted to be 100% before I attempt to start tapping and connecting the 12v feed in and then the 12v feedout. Now to determine which is in and which is out is another concern. Thoughts?
[automerge]1581628100[/automerge]

a modern car. 2018 Toyota Tacoma.
UPDATE: So I managed to tap into the wire harness at the fuse box under the hood and connected it there. Thanks for all assist.

Reply to Connecting a Brake Light Module to control all 3 brake lights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock