Discuss Connecting A Quick Windlass & Side-Power Remote Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Connecting my Quick windlass to the Side-Power should be simple enough.

The remote is only expecting 3 wires:

1. Common
  2. Windlass in
  3. Windlass out
See diagram:

1679434142211.png

I presumed that the remote red common wire should be connected to the Windlass 4A fuse wire, but pressing the remote control up/down just produces a clicking sound from the remote box. Have I misunderstood the wiring diagram?

1679433964862.png

1679433909440.png

TIA

Gary.

Attachments

• 1679433903622.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 1
That configuration looks correct to me. Does the windlass operate correctly from its own control or if you manually bridge common to either direction wire?

If the windlass itself works OK but fails to respond to the remote, maybe the resistance of the remote output contacts is too high to engage the contactor, or both directions are closing at once. With the remote disconnected from the windlass you could test the resistance at its tap-in connector from red to blue and grey with a multimeter.

That configuration looks correct to me. Does the windlass operate correctly from its own control or if you manually bridge common to either direction wire?

If the windlass itself works OK but fails to respond to the remote, maybe the resistance of the remote output contacts is too high to engage the contactor, or both directions are closing at once. With the remote disconnected from the windlass you could test the resistance at its tap-in connector from red to blue and grey with a multimeter.
Thanks for your advice Lucien, I'll investigate further and report back.

Hi Lucien,

Could you help me once more please?

I have emailed Quick support regarding the remote control. They have said that "the max load on the windlass signal output is 4A! If the windlass requires more than 4A, use an extra control relay."

I'm guessing it does and that is the cause of my problem, but I am unsure how to wire the 4 pin relay. Could you help me with that?

I think the relays in the windlass are unlikely to need more than 4A. If you have a multimeter with a 10A DC current range, use it to measure the current taken through the up and down wires. Simply put the meter probes across the switch, i.e. between the red (common) and either direction. The motor will operate and there might be sparking as you make and break the connection.

I think the relays in the windlass are unlikely to need more than 4A. If you have a multimeter with a 10A DC current range, use it to measure the current taken through the up and down wires. Simply put the meter probes across the switch, i.e. between the red (common) and either direction. The motor will operate and there might be sparking as you make and break the connection.
Thanks again Lucien, I'll give that a go this weekend.

Reply to Connecting A Quick Windlass & Side-Power Remote Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net