Discuss Connecting an Okofen, Austrian, Wood Pellet Style Boiler in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am interested in people's thoughts ... later this week, I am installing FCU(s) in the garage of a new build property to supply an integrated wood pellet boiler and heat store on behalf of an Eco heating company. The boiler and heat store is manufactured in Austria, CE marked, and at first sight they are well thought out, integrated and documented products which have the majority of their control system cabling pre-installed. The property has been first fixed electrically and cabling has been provided for: power, 4 mm[SUP]2[/SUP] T&E; connections for the house thermostat(s) and a CAT6 connection to the home hub to enable the owners to control their heating remotely via i-devices or similar.

The boiler requires less than 1 kW of electrical power for control and actuation systems and comes with a European L N E moulded plug. My new boss, a German with Electrical Engineering qualifications, asked me whether there was any reason why we should not install a European socket outlet to plug the boiler into. Would anyone have any concerns? Other than perhaps the 'fact' that the BS plug and socket are the safest in the world and cannot be bettered or improved upon! I am not calling into question this assertion. This approach would:

- Ensure complete and clearly identifiable isolation of the boiler by removing the plug.

- Prevent any potential warrantee problems due to the 'modification' by the installer of a CE certified product which has been type tested and certified with a European plug. I am cognisant of recent discussions regarding the integration by the installer of different manufacturers' products that have not been integration tested; consumer units and protective devices. Those concerns may not be applicable here

- Provide a connection to the electrical system that cannot be 'hijacked' for other purposes; like the continued use of round pin plugs of different sizes, mainly for lighting, in the UK. Although unlikely, if the moulded plug were replaced with a UK 13 A plug then the boiler could be disconnected and the socket used for other purposes.

Clearly a FCU would still be required to limit the effects on the house wiring of a short circuit in the equipment. The use of a socket, either UK or European, in the same way that a kitchen appliance can have a dedicated unswitched socket fed from a FCU would allow the use of a simpler and cheaper FCU rather than a DP SFCU.

Given the fact that the house is only first fixed and has what appears to be a temporary supply, what concerns would you have regarding the installation of trunking or clipped direct, pattress boxes, FCU and socket?

Thank you very much UKM. The link to the 1994 legislation was just what I wanted! The Austrian manufacturer is in breach of UK Law according to my understanding of this act. So too is my employer if he supplies such an item. He may discharge his responsibilities by removing and fitting a UK plug to BS 1363 or wire directly into a FCU which is his usual approach. However, although this route may satisfy the legislation it may fall foul of the manufacturer's product testing to achieve CE marking of its product. I think I will recommend that he call the Austrian manufacturer to inform them of the legislation and request their authority to follow his normal Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). Surely the adaptor route still leaves the Austrian manufacturer, my employer and me culpable by breaking the spirit if not the letter of UK Law!

I have just looked at the product and this would clearly be a good solution if we can get it in time! That said, I cannot see clearly whether it provides 'earth' connection. I assume that the curved contact behind the face of the plug serves this purpose.

If it is being sold/installed in this country it should have a connector which complies with a British standard, I believe this is a legal requirement.

According to EU guidelines all equipment and appliances should be provided with the standard plug top suitable for the country of final destination. In the UK that would be BS1363, not an unpolarised German Shucko plug top!! Just cut the Shucko plug off and replace it with a standard 13A plug top, you will not void any manufacturer's warranty by doing so, ...and you can take that to the bank!!

Not sure if it still goes on but in the past, quite a few outlets in the UK buy up surplus goods in the EU which will obviously come with the plug top for the country they were purchased from. These goods are called ''Brown Goods'', these outlets then had to provide a suitable convertor plug to be able to sell them in the UK, but we all know, none of the convertor/adaptor plugs are worth a light. I know this still goes on in Cyprus with the likes of Lidle and other EU supermarket chains...

According to EU guidelines all equipment and appliances should be provided with the standard plug top suitable for the country of final destination. In the UK that would be BS1363, not an unpolarised German Shucko plug top!! Just cut the Shucko plug off and replace it with a standard 13A plug top, you will not void any manufacturer's warranty by doing so, ...and you can take that to the bank!!

Not sure if it still goes on but in the past, quite a few outlets in the UK buy up surplus goods in the EU which will obviously come with the plug top for the country they were purchased from. These goods are called ''Brown Goods'', these outlets then had to provide a suitable convertor plug to be able to sell them in the UK, but we all know, none of the convertor/adaptor plugs are worth a light. I know this still goes on in Cyprus with the likes of Lidle and other EU supermarket chains...

Thanks Eng54, to the best of my knowledge, the product has been supplied direct to the company that I am working for as they are an agent for the Austrian manufacturer in the UK. Unless it has been supplied by mistake, then it appears that the Austrian manufacturer needs some polite education. As I said in an earlier post another option, my employers SOP, is to remove the Shucko plug and permanently wire direct to a suitably fused DP SFCU to provide isolation for maintenance and protection of house wiring. I will have a chat today as I have some work to do for them today in their shop. Boiler installation tomorrow if weather conditions allow!

There was something niggling in the back of my mind when he asked the question on Monday. I had a similar situation when I purchased a Festool dust extractor in Jul 2013; its supply was delayed while Festool UK got an electrician to fit a UK plug. At the time I was not clear why this was required. If I remember correctly when or shortly after it had arrived I ended up having to rewire the BS 1363 plug due to the poor workmanship!

Last edited:

Reply to Connecting an Okofen, Austrian, Wood Pellet Style Boiler in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net