Discuss Connecting light outside (1-way) to 2-gang (with a 2-way) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 115145

Hello, after changing all the light switches in my house from old to modern, I am now left with the tricky one that I can't work out.

- I have a light in the passageway operated from two switches (two way)
- I have a light outside (sensor) operated from one of the two passage way switch (two gangs)

Picture 1 (the new switch that shows the light outside not connected)
- Sleeve on the top left has a red cable. This is going to the light outside (the one I want to connect to this switch (there is no neutral or earth, just red).
- Sleeve in the top middle has a red, a yellow and a blue cable. This is going to the other switch that controls the light in the passageway.
- Sleeve on the top right has a red and a black cable. This is going to the light in the passageway.
- I connected up the light in the passageway to the new switch and it works well

Picture 2 (the old switch before)
- It does not indicate which is L1 or L2, and COM has an arrow pointing up and down so not clear.
- There was a small 4cm red cable that connected the two gangs in the switch (you can see a little bit in the picture)

So my question is:
Where should I connect the red cable coming from the light outside?
Where should I connect the small 4cm red cable?

Thank you very much!

IMG_2956.jpg Picture 1 (new switch)

IMG_2803.jpgPicture 2 (old switch)

Well you want to connect the red cable from the light outside (live) to the permanent live terminal in the back of the switch. if its on a PIR (or sensor as you call it) you only need a permanent live in to the light as the PIR acts as the switch
as to the small cable that is probably a jumper which connects the two common's.

Reply to Connecting light outside (1-way) to 2-gang (with a 2-way) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net