Discuss connecting mains smoke alarm without patress - connection box in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jase31

How would others connect a mains interlinked smoke alarm that does not use a surface patress. There is a ceiling plate, and a 3 wire connector.

I would probably use wago lighting connector with junction box, but this leaves the detectors exposed under the floor. Are there any better alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
The ceiling plate is the pattress mate, pull your cables through connect em to the terminals therein and slide your smoke alarm on to it. Jobs a goodun:)

The base of the smoke detector is flat and screws directly to the ceiling. The cable that is supplied is 3 core, with a plug on the end. The plug fits directly into the detector. Similar to the top left photo in www.yourhomedirect.co.uk/actinic_misc/86_7010_fitting_2.htm

Therefore when the base is screwed to the ceiling (plaster/lathe), the connectors have to be in the ceiling above (as there is no space between the detector and ceiling).

Should really have a box me thinks.Thats what I always use for that type.Not used them in a while though.All Aico stuff now we use.Wont take long to chuck a fastfix box up?

is it that you are using surface wiring? if it's in conduit, use a conduit box.

No, mounted to plaster/lath ceiling. Have access on from both sides (floors are up). Looks like best way is put a circular dryline box in, and just put the detector over the box.

LATHE AND PLASTER = COW DUNG.Can see why you don't want to cut a box out!can't really see much of an option though.The single insulated single cores of the smoke jointing bitty will have to be enclosed:S

I was just thinking about putting a square box in, easy to cut out with the fein. Might be easier to secure using a batten, than a fastfix. looks like a plan!

if you use a fastfix box ..when you offer up the base...it will have the effect of "trapping" the box between the plaster and the base....your fixing the base to the plaster ceiling...not the box arnt you?.........so all you are creating is a "cavity" within the box for terminations......

just taken a look at em marky and although they are marketed as "lower profile"....they still stand off the ceiling a bit.......we`v had this with clients in the past....that think smokes and heats look a bit obtrusive and as such we try to get em flat on the ceiling,...i know the old addage here is "what price safety" or you life but i think manufacturers could make efforts to make there products look more attractive or blend in better rather than just riding the crest of the "health and safety" wave...lol..........

if you use a fastfix box ..when you offer up the base...it will have the effect of "trapping" the box between the plaster and the base....your fixing the base to the plaster ceiling...not the box arnt you?.........so all you are creating is a "cavity" within the box for terminations......

Yep, the detector ceiling plate will hold the box against the ceiling, just need to cut a square hole in with fein, and secure with the alarm ceiling plate.

Aico is the only way to go.

Yes a little bit more to buy, but think of all the hassle cutting a box in - especially in a lathe and plaster ceiling!

Reply to connecting mains smoke alarm without patress - connection box in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net