Discuss connecting meter? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

00dan

hey, i've just changed an old fuse board! i had to change the mains cable as it was too small, so when reconneting it there was no earth terminal on the meter! i have a cable going to an earth rod! but someone told me i should connect my mains earth in the meter with my mains nuteral, he called it nuteralizing, is this correct? im a qualified electrician and i cant recall hearing of this! so if anyone has advice it would be great thanks!!

Sorry mate but this is really BASIC stuff, and to be honest i suggest contact a competent electrician to sort it out pronto.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CONNECT THE EARTH TO YOUR NEUTRAL IN THE CONSUMER UNIT.

The main earth should go from the rod to the consumer unit earth bar.

There are many many factors to be considered and tested before work had been carried out ESPECIALLY on TT systems.

do you guys ever get the feeling that you are helping out the cast of "How the west was won" ? I am just training but i must admit to being a bit surprised to some of the questions asked on here by people who say they are, or hint that they are, electricians.

no this isn a wind up! i never said i CONNETED NUTERAL TO EARTH IN THE CONSUMER UNIT! i have a main earth comin from my rod to my consumer unit! wat i was told is correct! i looked into it today, and the earth terminal on the meter comes from the nuteral terminal, on the incoming side of the meter! so i wonder where did you guy's get your qualifications!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a tn-c-s system. but you should know that and the combined neutral earth is sealed and supplied by the distributer, something you would never touch. PAGE 1 STUFF MATE :p

no this isn a wind up! i never said i CONNETED NUTERAL TO EARTH IN THE CONSUMER UNIT! i have a main earth comin from my rod to my consumer unit! wat i was told is correct! i looked into it today, and the earth terminal on the meter comes from the nuteral terminal, on the incoming side of the meter! so i wonder where did you guy's get your qualifications!!!!!!

You are asking where we got our qualifications???????

We are not asking page 1 questions are we?

And the only cables that come from the meter are the line and neutral.

Earth cable goes into the cutout (if available).

ye it is a tn-c-s system, and i know its a sealed unit, and i know i cant touch it!! i know its basic stuff but i never came across it in a practical situation! look guys i was only askin a question, because i wasn sure! i tought this site was for help! thanks

We are more than happy to help but your first post concerned me a little.

You really should have a basic understanding on the different types of supplies that are installed throughout the country, BEFORE you undertake a major job, especially a CU change.

Sorry to add to this, but I am currently training and have 2 questions on this.

Firstly if it is a TN-C-S System, why would it have an earth rod??? Surely that would be a TT system.

Also I understand that on a TN-C-S System the supply company usually install a device to combine the Supply Neutral and CPC, but if we connected the CPC inside the CU to the Neutral supply, wouldn't you just be making the CPC live from the Neutral return path.

Cheers

I agree with all the comments made, one of which has not been answered,OOdan where did you qualify and to what level are you, this forum in my opinion does give helpful informative info, but i must admit your thread is a strange Q to be asking from some very basic stuff.

Reply to connecting meter? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock