Discuss Connecting to a new supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for your advice. Quite surprised, had no idea the cable is so dear. What's the significance of 70mm? In your opinion would a 50mm cable be sufficient?

70mm can carry more current than 50mm. But 70mm can carry the same current as 50mm for a greater distance.
And then 70mm may be required to meet the required disconnection times of the fuse if 50mm isn't up to it.
The bottom line is that without visiting the site, measuring the distances, calculating the load and knowing the details of the incoming supply we can only guess.

70mm can carry more current than 50mm. But 70mm can carry the same current as 50mm for a greater distance.
And then 70mm may be required to meet the required disconnection times of the fuse if 50mm isn't up to it.
The bottom line is that without visiting the site, measuring the distances, calculating the load and knowing the details of the incoming supply we can only guess.

Makes sense to have to see it.

What information should I have ready for electricians when they come to see / quote the job? Watts / volts of potential equipment? Anything else? Don't want to waste their time and want to ensure an accurate assessment of the job.

Just hand the whole job over to the electrician and let him sort it out, he will tell you what’s needed without your interference.

Do you have an drawn up plan of where these 15 work stations, heaters and the breakout area will be situated within the building? If so give a copy to the electrician.

Is it me or is this puzzling.

The OP is paying meter charges to his landlord, which he thinks are high.

Theres talk of a new supply being brought into the estate by the supplier.... so somebody needs top determine exactly what is going on as I suspect the landlord would HAVE to be involved in the agreement to make changes to the supply to his building AND changes to the internal electrics.

Just saying.

i always thought that there was a small margin allowed. might be wrong.

It domestic like house rental that has to be charged at the same rate as the landlord paid for the Electricity including standing charges, commercial and Industrial are not bound by these rules and its best to shop around on your existing supply and arrange a better deal with the landlord knowing what may cost him or explain to the landlord that failure to agree a compromise will force you to look at having your own supply into the building but as already expressed, an NPAN needs to be raised and this will require the co-operation of the landlord.

I would personally be trying to arrange some middle ground with the landlord or explain that if you cannot agree a better deal then you will not be moving in, any landlord knows the value of not having empty premises so after a chat I expect some deal could be sorted - if the costs are extortionate why did you agree to move in in the first place, a prospective tenant has far more bargaining power than a signed tenant, it seems you have gone about this --- about --- and backed yourself into a corner thus your in a catch 22 where the landlord has to be agreeable to all options.

Can't see that the landlord is that bothered as if he was he would have had the building in some sort of tidy state ready to rent out not as the OP said that it was negelected and has taken 2 weeks to clean out.

Is it me or is this puzzling.

The OP is paying meter charges to his landlord, which he thinks are high.

Theres talk of a new supply being brought into the estate by the supplier.... so somebody needs top determine exactly what is going on as I suspect the landlord would HAVE to be involved in the agreement to make changes to the supply to his building AND changes to the internal electrics.

Just saying.
Yes, the landlord is charging what seems to be about 25% above the going rate per unit. I think that's pretty excessive for electricity. He has brought a new supply, not sure if the existing one was 'suitable'. Don't just want to be guessing, but I think it may have something to do with the fairly shiny new looking fire alarm system that's also been installed around the estate...

I thought that a landlord was not allowed to charge their tenants more than what they paid for electrcity when passing the cost on.
From what I understand, there is a small percentage (under 10%) the landlord is able to charge. Not sure if it's a legal regulation or a "suggested guideline". That's the thing about tinternet, can never be sure.

It domestic like house rental that has to be charged at the same rate as the landlord paid for the Electricity including standing charges, commercial and Industrial are not bound by these rules and its best to shop around on your existing supply and arrange a better deal with the landlord knowing what may cost him or explain to the landlord that failure to agree a compromise will force you to look at having your own supply into the building but as already expressed, an NPAN needs to be raised and this will require the co-operation of the landlord.

I would personally be trying to arrange some middle ground with the landlord or explain that if you cannot agree a better deal then you will not be moving in, any landlord knows the value of not having empty premises so after a chat I expect some deal could be sorted - if the costs are extortionate why did you agree to move in in the first place, a prospective tenant has far more bargaining power than a signed tenant, it seems you have gone about this --- about --- and backed yourself into a corner thus your in a catch 22 where the landlord has to be agreeable to all options.
The landlord is agreeable and frankly seems like a genuine guy. Believe me the agreement is very attractive for us, he wanted rid and we got a bargain. Not sure why there are so many similar places in stoke, if this estate was within the m25 it'd be worth a fortune.

Anyway, wouldn't have moved in if there wasn't a chance we were getting our own supply. Know the other tenants said they've been crying out for it for a while, this seems to be the homestretch right?

There is a maximum resell price for domestic customers,the landlord cant charge more per unit, he can charge a portion, shared between the tenants for standing charge and vat

The Maximum Resale Price does not apply
to gas or electricity that is used at industrial or commercial premises

Can't see that the landlord is that bothered as if he was he would have had the building in some sort of tidy state ready to rent out not as the OP said that it was negelected and has taken 2 weeks to clean out.
He saw a great big heaving pile of rubbish and let it go on the cheap. I'm sure he thought we wouldn't take it, so he offered a silly price, which lowered when I didn't contact back in a week. It looks fantastic now.

This is just step 1. We've planned for some rapid growth once we expand our client base. We didn't expect to start out in Buckingham Palace but we'rre aiming high.

Reply to Connecting to a new supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net