Discuss Connections to HV Pylons in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm looking at converting an old agricultural building into a dwelling. I should say first I'm not some kind of property magnet, I'm in the civils game, so I've got plenty of graft, my problem is I can't help channelling my inner Frank Spencer when it comes to electrics!

So the agricultural building is approx. 300m from this electrical HV pylon/transformer.

Connections to HV Pylons 20200112_151923 - EletriciansForums.net

The cables from the transformer then head over to a telecommunications mast.

Connections to HV Pylons 20200112_152109 - EletriciansForums.net

In principal If I couldn't come of this transformer, then I'm thinking one could be mounted on the pylon prior to this one by Northern Power Grid?

This photo is of a cross connection further upstream.

Connections to HV Pylons 20200112_152447 B - EletriciansForums.net

My question is, what type of cable could I run/bury over 300m's to power a 4 bedroom property with out-buildings etc? I'm anticipating it would be cheaper for me to pre duct for Northern Power Grid to pull a cable through rather than the expense of mounting further HV pylons. NPG's simple calculator is churning out ÂŁ56k for the full connection.

Northern Power Grid along with other network owners can now charge you up to ÂŁ8000 for what they call 'connection offer expenses' simply just to obtain a quotation. Once you take the enquiry process to the stage were you get a 'budget price' you're then compelled to pay 25% of whatever category they deem you fall into. Simple connections to a single property from the footpath are free. But when you start making connections onto HV pylons you fall into the extreme categories i.e new housing estates and industrial developments. So potentially you can be legally obliged to pay this 'connection offer expense' without understanding if its free or ÂŁ8000!!!

I'll be able to find out later in the week if these are 11kv overheads.

Would I be classed as 'A demand connection where the capacity is less than 1 MVA'?

to start pulling a cable from one end to another is going to be expensive either way ,and asking the DNO to supply you for a load ,you need to ask them how much to connect up .why dont you go off grid or put a windmill in to power a batteries system.

to start pulling a cable from one end to another is going to be expensive either way ,and asking the DNO to supply you for a load ,you need to ask them how much to connect up .why dont you go off grid or put a windmill in to power a batteries system.

That's my preference, but the banks want you connected to utilities in-case your build falls through for whatever reason and they have to try and sell it on without power and water!
[automerge]1578867581[/automerge]

Cost of connection could be anything up to ÂŁ80,000!

Cost of connection could be anything up to ÂŁ80,000
if you have deep pockets then you could afford it ,them boys will not do it for free ,trust me are kid works on high voltage cable and work in Scotland the amount the gear they use its not cheap that why there is a high price ,may be I could ask him the best to go around it for you .

You need to speak to Northern Power there are plenty of things that have to be considered.
There may not be any spare capacity in the network to those poles.
There may not be spare capacity in the network further back, if either of the above apply then you would have to pay a contribution to upgrading.

It's quite possible if that Transformer supplies Telecoms equipment that any spare capacity is reserved for them.

There's no point running ductwork without consulting N-P, they may want to run overhead.
Do you own the land the poles are on or have an agreed Wayleave for services / access over it?

Northern Power would have to negotiate that as their existing agreement probably only covers to the poles and Telecom equipmment.

A job like this would be deemed as contestable, this means an accredited contractor can do the design and installation for you. Normally they also negotiate with the DNO on your behalf. The DNO still need to agree to the connection and only they can do the final connection. This usually works out a lot cheaper than getting the DNO to do it all.

You need to speak to Northern Power there are plenty of things that have to be considered.
There may not be any spare capacity in the network to those poles.
There may not be spare capacity in the network further back, if either of the above apply then you would have to pay a contribution to upgrading.

It's quite possible if that Transformer supplies Telecoms equipment that any spare capacity is reserved for them.

There's no point running ductwork without consulting N-P, they may want to run overhead.
Do you own the land the poles are on or have an agreed Wayleave for services / access over it?

Northern Power would have to negotiate that as their existing agreement probably only covers to the poles and Telecom equipmment.

Thanks for the reply. My question is this though. What cable would I be looking at to power a small holding 300m's from this pylon?

What cable would I be looking at to power a small holding 300m's from this pylon?

You don't need to install a cable, Northern Power or whoever does the work will do the calculations and terminate at a fuse cutout within your property. The cable will remain the responsibility of Northern Power.

You don't need to install a cable, Northern Power or whoever does the work will do the calculations and terminate at a fuse cutout within your property. The cable will remain the responsibility of Northern Power.
Roger that. As mentioned, I may be able to contest the method of install so I wanted your opinion what you'd install over that distance?

Roger that. As mentioned, I may be able to contest the method of install so I wanted your opinion what you'd install over that distance?

If it is contestable works that doesn't mean you can do the work yourself. It still has to be done by a contractor who are approved to work on the network side of things.
For the LV network installation they will probably specify quite a big 3 core wavecon cable (most DNO's have standardised to a couple of sizes rather than using a large variety of sizes, I think 185mm and 300mm are common) for the bulk of the run and reduce it down to whatever is required for the service for the last couple of metres.
They may allow you to install a duct for them to pull the cable in to, but over that distance it will need multiple accessible points along the run.

Is the 300m distance on land you own or is it crossing someone else's land? This makes a big difference.

When I was in India every day the power would go out. I asked why this was and the factory owner said people lasso the over head power line with copper cable to steal the power. It goes out everyday because a person is killed doing it wrong. You need an Indian guy and just supply the cable :D

If it is contestable works that doesn't mean you can do the work yourself. It still has to be done by a contractor who are approved to work on the network side of things.
For the LV network installation they will probably specify quite a big 3 core wavecon cable (most DNO's have standardised to a couple of sizes rather than using a large variety of sizes, I think 185mm and 300mm are common) for the bulk of the run and reduce it down to whatever is required for the service for the last couple of metres.
They may allow you to install a duct for them to pull the cable in to, but over that distance it will need multiple accessible points along the run.

Is the 300m distance on land you own or is it crossing someone else's land? This makes a big difference.

Yes, crossing someone else's land with their consent.

Reply to Connections to HV Pylons in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock