Discuss Conservation area - who's responsible? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
From what i have read planning permission in a conservation area is not needed if the PV can't be seen from the highway.

I have a situation where a client wants PV in a conservation area which can't be seen from the drive or anywhere near the property, but i have noticed that glimpses of it would been seen through trees and over a field about 100m down the road.

Client is happy to have it installed and give me a letter/ email (before installation) saying that any consents that maybe required are in place (or words to that effect) and take it up with planning himself after installation if it ever comes to it.

So who is ultimately responsible and what liability would i have if it ever became an issue? Can anyone with experience with this offer any advice?

I would still contact the planning department just as a matter of caution. If it gets denied and they are already installed then they will need to get removed

I have just installed a Solar Thermal system on a rear elevation to a house in a conservation area. The client took advice on whether planning permission was need and the opinion from the planning office was that it was not needed as it was rear-elevation and provided the normal factors were met with the installation.

However it was only an opinion and the client was advised to seek a Certificate of Lawfulness if he wanted a firm decision.

The client being quite well versed on planning is confident and decided to continue with the install. He signed a contract and the survey form confirming that he is responsible for all planning issues.

I am happy with the actions the client has taken but really I think you need to judge each issue on its own merits and there's no harm in getting a second opinion from the planning office.

HTH

As far as i belive, its actually the home owner who is responsible, and the onus is on them. Having said that its part of my MCS too that planning responsibility is put on the home owner and ive not to undertake this on their behalf. I can of course assist, but ive not to do the application on their behalf.

Reply to Conservation area - who's responsible? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net