Discuss Construction Skills College Limited - Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Im looking to go on a course with these guys in a couple of weeks, anyone got any feedback on them?

HI Grant,

All i need to know is the quality of the training at this place mate, how was it for you?

Hi

Slightly off topic but I went on one of their 5 day plastering courses ran on Saturdays.
Absolutly brilliant - I can't stress how great the tutor was - very relaxed and wasn't put off by me asking him the same questions again.
I've now finished plastering the majority of my house and I can't believe the standard I've achieved - I've even had friends ask me do stuff at their homes.

More relevantly to this site I did the EAL domestic Installer course last year and again Dave the tutor really knew his stuff and answered a lot of my questions regarding Part P.

The course started with the various relevant building regs and Part P. Then there was earthing and bonding, Domestic wiring - lighting and power ccts, testing and inspection and how to fill in the forms and a brief touch on 3 phase systems - there was some other parts which I can't remember now.

Don't get me wrong it hasn't made me a sparky overnight but it has put me in the right direction and the content was great.

hope this helps

Andy

Andy,

Thank you for the positive feedback, I'm glad that you enjoyed the course and that you have gone on to use those skills.

If anyone has any questions regarding any of the courses that we offer at the training centre please let me know.

All the best,
Dave

Hi All,

I want you to be the first to know of a new package that I am offering for electrical training. We currently offer the Domestic Installer course (PART P), and the 17th edition course but from June I will be offering a foundation domestic electrical installers course which will be practical based.

All attendees will have their own training area and testers, and you will carryout your own practical installation work and fully test your work and complete certs, extend circuits and test and complete certs, change a consumer unit and test and complete certs. As you can tell the course is aimed at giving people practical skills and confidence in completing installations and tests. You will still need to attend the domestic installer course and complete the 17th edition course within 12 months of registering with ELESCA but this course is aimed at people who have little practical experience.

The cost for all 3 courses is being offered at £1500 in VAT. Individually they cost; Foundation - £395, Domestic Installer - £775, 17th edition - £450.

Any questions then drop me a line or check the website next week for more details.

All the best,
Dave

Hi all this is my first post so be gentle! I did the 5 day Domestic Installers Course a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it! It is quite intensive but hey what do you expect fitting it all in in a week! :O) they are a very approachable company and the training is of a very high quality, mainly because the tutor is a electrical contractor in his own right! so he knows the in's n outs so to speak?

hopefully will be booking to go on the testing course which is being setup at the moment by Dave.

Ps there a cracking sandwhich van round the corner lol.....

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks for the positive commments and I'm glad you enjoyed the course. You know where we are if you need anything.

Dave

Hi,

Yes upon completion you will receive a Level 3 Diploma in Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671:January 2008).

The certificate will be posted recorded delivery within a couple of weeks on average.

Now done all 3 electrical courses with Constructions Skills College. That is, the foundation 5 days, the Domestic Installer 5 days and the 17th edition 4 days. I did the first two in Stoke and the last one in Wolverhampton. Enjoyed all 3 courses. Glad I did the foundation one first as I would have struggled with the other two if I hadn't. But then I have no practical experience of electrics prior to starting the courses. I found the teaching good and the practical element also good.

A few minor gripes like the admin for the courses was a bit patchy. I had to ask about 3 or 4 times to get a date for the 17th edition course, which meant scheduling it in a bit of a pain. Also, on the foundation course the tutor was a well experienced sparks but had only just started training so we were all learning together. Fortunately, there were only 4 of us on the course and I'm not shy about asking lots of dumb questions so I got what I needed out of the course. But one of the other guys on the course was a bit shier than me so he told me that he struggled a bit with the tutor’s use of jargon etc. Whereas I just asked kept asking the tutor to explain what the hell he meant by cpc, pme etc etc. But

In conclusion, I would say the courses were as well run as any of these sort of intensive short course can be. But if you are going to go on one you have got to be prepared to do a bit of work yourself to keep up and also take some responsibility for your own learning. If you don't understand what the tutor is telling you then ask and keeping asking until you do get it. After all, you are paying for it so get your money's worth.

Hi,

Thank you for attending our courses and for giving feedback.

I wish to apologise for the admin issues regarding course dates. We are currently increasing our marketing of our electrical courses which will enable us to commit to publishing more dates as demand has been on the low side for both the foundation course and the 17th edition course.

I accept your comments regarding the tutor on the foundation course and a decision has been made; As this course is so important to people wishing to retrain and the majority of these people have no previous knowledge at all we appreciate that an experienced tutor would be more beneficial instead of someone new to tutoring.

The tutor who will be running these courses in 2010 has run a number of bespoke foundation electrical courses that I provide for a national company and also has 30+ years in the trade and also has his own electrical company with 5 employees, in addition to this we will also be providing revised handouts.

I appreciate that this is a little late for you but once the course handouts are finalised I will send a copy to all past attendees.

Many Thanks again for your post and all the best for 2010.
Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave. You have a good set-up and with a few minor improvements, as you have indicated you are making, I would imagine you will be better than most of your competitors in due course. I'm sure you are already better than many. Look forward to receiving the revised course notes when they are ready.

Regards,

Gerry

P.S. forgot to say that Chris, the tutor that took us for the Domestic Installer and 17th edition courses, was excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year! It's a nice day to make this post

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Brothers ;))

And good luck to all of you!

Reply to Construction Skills College Limited - Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock