Discuss Consumer unit above boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ampo

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I want to move a consumer unit and the best place is above a combi boiler. It is 200mm above and will be incorporated into a cupboard with the combi. It seems like it would get hot but I cant see any heat whatsoever coming from the top of the combi so assume this all flues out the wall. I cant find any reg saying i cant do this either. Just looking for some common sense, bad idea or not a problem at all?

Regulations aside, I would make sure the consumer unit is easily accessible to work on. So avoid a deep cupboard, anywhere too high or awkward to access, anywhere that has lots of hot pipes to keep accidentally touching, plenty of room to remove the lid, etc.

I don't know where you are, but the foreign building regulations (England and Wales) part M requires that cu are placed 1350-1450 above floor level, this is also advised in part P.

Not specific to a Boiler of course, but cu are supposed to be accessible in order for the homeowner to access the switches /mcbs and the 6mth testing of rcd

Thanks guys, the question was more from a heat point of view. The boiler is a combi, if it had any heat on the top I wouldn't consider but seems to be cold when running. It's my own house and the boiler is new so no pipe work issues. Part M dosent really come into it imo as this board will be moving over a couple feet to make way for a steel rather than it being a new build. Maybe if I put a timber dividing in the cabinet so it's not strictly in the boiler cupboard but you access both when opening the door. It will likely end up being incorporated in the kitchen units. Problem I have moving it further is it will be increasing the tails length that already come up the wall in the soil pipe boxing and I dont really like running them further than needed

There is a limit to the length of tails you might need to look at.
Someone else with a decent memory will be along shortly to advise.

I second what others have said. No problem, as long as there’s adequate access to the board for maintenance.

Regulations aside, I would make sure the consumer unit is easily accessible to work on. So avoid a deep cupboard, anywhere too high or awkward to access, anywhere that has lots of hot pipes to keep accidentally touching, plenty of room to remove the lid, etc.
What about this this.....if you want to lower the ceiling...…….

IMG_0435.JPG

Reply to Consumer unit above boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net