Discuss Consumer unit change and tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just a quick question. If changing a board only and tails are in wall burried or in a cavity, am I required to change them if they are existing? Or can I note it on cert that they was existing? In my eyes they need changing as if in wall rcd protection is needed and if in cavity there is problems with cavity wall insulation. Just looking at changing a board for assessment and the cables are back entry including tails and don’t want to get caught out.
Cheers

depends if the tails are <50mm buried. if coming straight out of wall, RCD not required.

Can you not pull them out with a draw wire attached

Then pull in some new ones

Only your work needs to comply to the regulations so you have not installed the existing tails only the new CU.
A note on the comments section regarding the tails is all that’s required on the EIC

When changing a CU you only need to put new tails in if the existing are undersized (or of course damaged).
What size are they? If they are 25mm then they are fine. If they are 16mm they are probably fine but possible not (depending on max demand of installation, Ze and fuse size of the cutout).

Only your work needs to comply to the regulations so you have not installed the existing tails only the new CU.
A note on the comments section regarding the tails is all that’s required on the EIC
I thought that you had to put new tails in if the existing ones where not of adequate size (when changing a CU)? The same could be said of Main bonding. We are supposed to make sure the Main bonding is in place and of an adequate size before changing the CU. I wouldn't feel happy just making a note in the comments saying 'tails not sufficient to take max demand therefore fire risk'.

You took the words right out of my mouth Ian.

I thought that you had to put new tails in if the existing ones where not of adequate size (when changing a CU)? The same could be said of Main bonding. We are supposed to make sure the Main bonding is in place and of an adequate size before changing the CU. I wouldn't feel happy just making a note in the comments saying 'tails not sufficient to take max demand therefore fire risk'.
I think it’s pretty obvious that I meant if the tails are adequate then they can be left.
If regulation 132.16 can’t be complied with then the CU change does not proceed

Hi guys, just to get back to you. Rang technical help line for niceic and they said as long as fit for size of fuse, double insulated and existing they can be left. Not ideal, but if customer won't budge to have them rerouted, then note on cert.

Reply to Consumer unit change and tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock