Discuss Consumer unit change testing required? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rich power

Hi i have recently registered with napit and started my own company and looking for advice.

1)When I carry out a consumer unit change I test the whole installation and complete a electrical installation certificate is this correct?
2)Also I find that all the installations I test have a meter rated at 40 amps and suppliers fuse is either 80 amps or 100 amps. Obviously this requires reporting to the supply company but is there a number to call if the supply company is not known?

Many thanks in advance for taking your time to provide feedback

There is a very extensive thread on here somewhere called something like CU changes and you (I think)

Along with testing you need to assess the earthing and equipotential bonding - and remember the pretty pages in the OSG re tails are relevant for new installations only as a guide (i.e. if the service head fuse is 60A or 80A then 16mm tails ARE ok!)

When you change a consumer unit you must ensure that the consumer unit is compliant with the current edition of BS7671 and that the circuits that you attach to it are safe for continued use. The electrical installation certificate should reflect this and the easiest way to do this is to test each circuit.
The testing of the circuits is to ensure they are safe for use, not necessarily compliant with the current wiring regulations, and also that the protective devices you have installed will perform their function safely.

If the supply meter is rated at less than the supply fuse then it may be worth mentioning this to the supply company, there is no one else who would be interested or authorised to correct.
However if you do not know the supplier there is little you can do, they are presumably already aware of this anyway but have chosen not to act.

That must be an old meter, not seen the 40A stamping for ages. I wouldn't worry too much I think it is a continuous rating, eg the rating it can continually run at day in day out, that is not likely to happen. Surprised it hasn't been replaced.

That must be an old meter, not seen the 40A stamping for ages. I wouldn't worry too much I think it is a continuous rating, eg the rating it can continually run at day in day out, that is not likely to happen. Surprised it hasn't been replaced.
Trust me there is still plenty out there.

Hopefully the new CCU is a metal one or in a metal enclosure as required under the current regs.

Reply to Consumer unit change testing required? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net