Discuss consumer unit change under kitchen sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have a job to change a consumer unit of old rewirable wylex type.
The existing is under the kitchen sink wiith the tails going directly through the outside wall into the meter cabinet outside.
With solid floor and built in cupboards all round and granite work tops is it acceptable to replace it in same location or does it have to be moved.
Note - Also due to extent of pipework etc dual rcd board will not fit and can only get an 8 way rcd incomere board in the space. there is an isollation switch in the meter cabinet but no movement on the tails which appear to go up the cavity a little behind the meter cabinet.

Move to cupboard next to sink

First thought was to do just that. Washer and then dryer on one side just before doorway so no chance that way. No way above as sink below window then corner cupboard on otherside so not accessable on same wall and if moved around corner would be directly next to oven with oven and hob isolation switches right there.

Joint cables under plinth and put in nearest cupboard

Thanks again for that. Only way to do that is to joint all circuits - and main meter tails - then run under sink and corner units then under oven to opposite side of kitchen.
Ofcourse i don't want to replace under sink if this is a no no. But if no regulation against it i think it is my best option

Thanks again for that. Only way to do that is to joint all circuits - and main meter tails - then run under sink and corner units then under oven to opposite side of kitchen.
Ofcourse i don't want to replace under sink if this is a no no. But if no regulation against it i think it is my best option
joint the tails with a henley in the meter cupboard outside....so their accessable....then its new tails to the new board position....how long`s the proposed run for the new tails....as you would be advised to find out the DNO requirements for this if over 3 meters....
as far as jointing the finals are concerned...again make any joints accessable wont you for future maintainance...

i dont see the point in moving a cu from 1 kitchen cupboard to another kitchen cupboard ?
customer gains nothing other than increased labour bill.
you are under no obligation to move it whatsoever , as the installation remains no less unsafe than when you found it.

and dont bother with all the usual stupid "what if a pipe leaks ?" panicky posts , its boring and predictable.
;-)

Nothing really wrong with it regulation wise.

As its an old install you can't really do much, and seeing as though you're not doing an EICR then i'd just leave it. Code 3 on an EICR max.

If it was a new install it'd be a different matter, can't exactly remember the height off top of my head but approved document M states a minimum height regulation which applys to CU/DB's aswell.

as biff and monkey have advised. fit in existing location. the chances of water damage are, IMO, slight, less than if the board was mounted below a shower on the floor above. and go with RCBOs.

Thanks again everybody for the sound advise.

Actually did get a small board with 100a incommer and RCBO's to fit today.
However, got there this morning and plumber had turned up to fit new Hot steamimg water tap, all new waste layout for sink and modify plumbing for washer feeds all under sink.
After pulling my hair out for a while and biting my tongue at same time, there was no way new consumer unit was going to be changed with all that going on.
Have taken the plunge and put new consumer unit in corner cupboard. Already a henley block in meter cabinet (along with 4 way consumer unit) by previous solar panel company.
Hope I get the new tails through the same hole as old ones, but does travel in cavity a little.

Now intend to joint existing circuits (crimps) in adaptable box as no way will they reach new board. Any do's or don'ts on that would be appreciated.

UPDATE;

Exteneded all circuits using adaptable box and din rail connectors to relocate consumer unit. Took a bit of time but worked a treat.

I was going to suggest using din rail and terminals, instead of crimps. looks more polished imo.

If there is a isolation switch in meter cupboard why not switch off and remove old tails attach a smaller wire such as 1mm to them and use as a draw wire to pull new tails through

How long will the run for new cables be

Reply to consumer unit change under kitchen sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock