Discuss Consumer unit change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if someone can clear something up? Been to look at a consumer unit change, but old one is located in the meter cupboard. I have heard in the past that consumer units can't be placed in the meter cupboard. Just wondering as I am replacing and cables go there, can I just replace within the meter cupboard or will I need to relocate consumer unit outside of the cupboard, which I will add is metal and inside the property and cannot see the wording dno equipment only.
If anyone can help I would be grateful

Thanks in advance
Ape

or is it a wylex CU in an outside meter cupboard as was quite common in 70's and 80's? @OP. a pic would help.

Lee is correct Wylex do replacements for these, so do Proteus but they fit like a square peg in a round hole. Be careful if you decide to use a standard CU as some of the existing wiring may be unsheathed singles which will be difficult to enclose into a standard CU.

Lee is correct Wylex do replacements for these, so do Proteus but they fit like a square peg in a round hole. Be careful if you decide to use a standard CU as some of the existing wiring may be unsheathed singles which will be difficult to enclose into a standard CU.
there you go with them negative waves again. a few inches of shrink sleeve could fix it. :mduck:

MK and Hager also make them. Although I don't think they have a metal cover for the circuit breakers but IMO the mantel unit could be classed as a non combustible enclosure as long as the hinges and catch are also metal which I think all the ones I've ever come across have been.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. It is a bit like your pic leesparkykent, but it is more like tel describes, it has a 16th edition split load skeleton wylex type consumer unit with service head and meter, then in the bottom right hand corner is a small wylex cartridge fuse consumer unit that is supplying a socket radial and it is this one that the customer wants changing to provide Rcd protection to the socket radial circuit in the property. Was thinking of pulling the cable up to the board at the top but no spare ways, so looking to change what is there, plus there is only one ring and a small radial in the house and don't want to have both on one Rcd. Just wondering if I leave where it is will anyone complain as I have heard that the cupboard should only be for dno equipment only? The cupboard seems to me like a normal meter cupboard where as the one in the pic provided by leesparkykent seems taller to me. But it is metal. Also all cables are twin and Earth, which is handy! I assume that the house was rewired at some point and changed the skeleton board but decided to leave a radial on another unit/ existing unit but without Rcd protection.
Once again thanks for replies.
Ape

Reply to Consumer unit change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock