Discuss Consumer unit change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a recently qualified electrician and my parents need their consumer unit replacing as they are having a new bathroom and they currently have an old rewirable fuse board so obviously no electrical work can be carried out to it.

The installation has no bonding present and 16mm tales (This would need rectifying)

I don't belong to any regulatory body such as the NIC and work as a maintenance engineer at a hospital, my question is upon replacing the consumer unit and testing what do I do in regards to certification? If I dont belong to the NIC etc then can I still issue a certificate and sign the work off somehow?

May be a daft question but I'm very recently qualified so not had to encounter this stuff yet.

Thanks.

Yes you can do it, but you would either have to get building control in to check at each stage of install or get a 3rd party sign off. Niceic electricians are not permitted to do this, but I think some napit spark are.

Yes you can do it, but you would either have to get building control in to check at each stage of install or get a 3rd party sign off. Niceic electricians are not permitted to do this, but I think some napit spark are.
Makes a bit of a farce of the co-operation of CPS Schemes if that is the case doesn't it

Hi,
I'm a recently qualified electrician and my parents need their consumer unit replacing as they are having a new bathroom and they currently have an old rewirable fuse board so obviously no electrical work can be carried out to it.

The installation has no bonding present and 16mm tales (This would need rectifying)

I don't belong to any regulatory body such as the NIC and work as a maintenance engineer at a hospital, my question is upon replacing the consumer unit and testing what do I do in regards to certification? If I dont belong to the NIC etc then can I still issue a certificate and sign the work off somehow?

May be a daft question but I'm very recently qualified so not had to encounter this stuff yet.

Thanks.
You have to notify building control (for a fee - I think it’s around £140 a time) - they will sign it off but you would need to do all the certification yourself which they will check too.

@ChrisElectrical88 doing this could well come back and bite if/when (a) something goes wrong or (b) when the house is next sold. Even though the OP has a PAYE job, if he is going to do this, he should have his own relevant liability insurance "just in case". I don't agree with stitching anyone up, and certainly not your own parents!

As an alternative to changing the CU, you could always just add a small CU next to the original one and wire the new bathroom to this.
Yes, replacing the existing CU would be better.

Would you advise me to do the board change then (as well as installing the bonding) and get a friend of mine who is in the NIC to test and certify it?

Would you advise me to do the board change then (as well as installing the bonding) and get a friend of mine who is in the NIC to test and certify it?

@Paignton pete says the NIC are not allowed to do what you are asking.
As @TonyMitchell has said, why not do the job with your mate.

You'll be grateful of your mate's input in doing the work together if he's an experienced spark, particularly as your OP suggests this will be your first CU replacement. It's pretty much guaranteed you'll run into issues and have to make decisions along the way, which is where his experience will be invaluable and you'll learn a lot from him. A replacement of something old with short tails, in a less than ideal working position, when you're up against time getting power back on, is very different to doing it in the controlled environment of a spacious, well lit practice booth with new cable.

Makes a bit of a farce of the co-operation of CPS Schemes if that is the case doesn't it
Yes it does.
[automerge]1568569370[/automerge]
Niceic are not permitted to do 3rd party certification. Only napit as far as I am aware have the appropriate certification for 3rd party.

So when competent retired electrician Pete with all his experience wants to run a new lighting and ring final circuit to his shed extension that housed his tool collection has to call a Stroma/Napit electrician up to wire it or pay £--- to building control. I do commercial works now ( I did new houses for years before that) so I am not in a scheme and I don't think both of us have a mate in Stroma/Napit.

Screw Part Pee , big scam....

I’m following in our new prime ministers foot steps and am going to break the law and do what I ruddy want

At the end of the day if you want a domestic notifiable job done it needs to be signed off.

If you are compitant( electrically skilled) and not registered you cannot sign it off, so yes you will have to get 3rd party or building control involved.

That’s the way it is. Right or wrong.

So when competent retired electrician Pete with all his experience wants to run a new lighting and ring final circuit to his shed extension that housed his tool collection has to call a Stroma/Napit electrician up to wire it or pay £--- to building control. I do commercial works now ( I did new houses for years before that) so I am not in a scheme and I don't think both of us have a mate in Stroma/Napit.

But he and you would probably find some friendly person on an online forum willing to assist.

Reply to Consumer unit change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock