Discuss consumer unit changes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

keniff

-
Reaction score
hi guys, just looking on opinions, when i change a consumer unit i do a full test and note down any remedial work like broken socket fronts etc, just wondered how far everyone goes if they find any faults etc, do you actually fix any problems like low ir readings on the change or give advisories?. and also how far you take things like sleeving of switch lines and checking cable routes

Would normally carry out basic testing to identify any problems with the board change then change it anything else would be remedial and priced seperately.

why would you be sleeving switch wires etc if your only there for a board swap?

well i have always been under the impression that when you change the board you adopt all of the circuits, i never check the sleeving etc but i had local council looking at a job before i went to do it (customer had them out not me) and they said even the smallest things like switch line sleeving needs changing

Would normally carry out basic testing to identify any problems with the board change then change it anything else would be remedial and priced seperately.

why would you be sleeving switch wires etc if your only there for a board swap?

Yep, quick test before to compare with after the change and list all work that needs doing with a price list. Its ok doing odd little jobs FOC to get the job but dont go to far or spend that much time for nothing. List on your cert what needs doing to cover your back incase any come backs like:- "I was never told that I needed bonding on my water pipes" etc.

TBH listing that needed bonding on water pipes if you are upgrading an existing installation you are required to ensure that the Earthing & Bonding arrangments meet the current regs. you wouldn't leave 4mm bonding when you know you needed to upgrade it.

This should all be identified before providing a quote for upgrading the board - this is why offering fixed price board installs is just ridiculous as you don't know what else needs doing

If your carrying out a consumer unit replacement, you need to Inspect and Test each and every circuit you reconnect. What would happen, if you reconnected a lighting circuit and there was a class 1 light fitting with no cpc connected?

Don't forget all bonding requirements.

Basically once you take over that installation, you become the duty holder, responsibility is with you.

very often the person from the council has a very limited understanding of what constitutes a dangerous condition and what constitutes a non compliance condition. generally going to the far end of a fart is used as a substitute for experience and practical knowledge.

Although I issue an installation certificate for fuse box upgrades where is asks for the "extent of installation" I make it abundantly clear that my involvement is with the installation of the fuse box only.

As said previously I'd do some basic testing to identify any potential problems that could occur with a new unit - particularly where rcds are to be installed. I then do a full periodic inspection and test of each circuit etc etc, up to a point I would carry out minor remedial works like switch live sleeving if I only find one or two with it missing, otherwise these works broken sockets and the like are priced for separately.

Notify the customer of anything that needs doing, as soon as it becomes apparent or agree with them an additional works limit if they are not there or contactable, ie "unforeseen works arising as a result of quoted works shall be carried out at the installer's discretion up to the value of £--- unless otherwise instructed by the client"

council can say what they want (not sure why they involved anyway) and if clent wants these things correcting then fine but otherwise you are contracted to change board only which will include a full test only with poss bonding upgrade depending on the currernt standard

If that's a council property, the tenant needs the councils permission to make alterations to the property, so upsetting the council ain't worth it. The councils legal teams have plenty of Tax payers money to ---- you off back.

Last edited by a moderator:
that may be so but if youre there to fit a new socket would you also change the fusebox cause the council says so, or repair the guttering and fix the leaky tap?

cant see the relevance - unless you are quoting for all the works that have been brought to attention of tenant/ owner

imo you should do a pir before changing the board
all code 1 must be done beforehand.
esc have got a booklet on it you can download

no basically what happened the lady bought the house and had a handy man do the rewire, he wasnt part p and had to have the council certify it, then she got them to inspect the basement that is seperate supply etc and they have listed a load of thing that need doing including sleeving etc, i basically said ill go and change the consumer unit and do a full test as i normally would do, but explained i would sleeve and replace broken sockets separately if she wanted at extra cost.

Bit extreme the guttering and leaky tap. Bending every now and then can pay dividends, but its horses for courses I suppose if people want to be firm and charge for every little thing.

Just to add posted at the same time as others. Also, always more to the posts, people seem to be selective in their posts and this ends up causing confusion.

Makes me wonder now, how many Electrician's are actually using this forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to consumer unit changes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net