Discuss Consumer unit for shipping container in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've been asked to quote for a consumer unit, supply cable and some internal wiring in a shipping container on a private caravan plot (single family residential). The container will be used as a shower block. The mains supply will come from a meterbox installed on a post on the plot. Not sure what is in the box but it already feeds two touring caravans via commando sockets so presumably there is a consumer unit in there.

Now my question is what type of consumer unit should I fit? Section 717 (specifically note 2) states "Class II or equivalent enclosure up to the first protective device providing automatic disconnection of supply". So this would suggest it has to be a plastic consumer unit, but that contradicts the general requirement for metal consumer units. So what should I install?

I'm fairly sure that a shipping container is constructed of non combustible material.
True, but what about the contents? Is is wood battened and dry lined with stud partitions for a start. So no better than a brick house with all the usual wood components for e.g.

I would use a plastic CU rated at IP55 or IP65. Hager Vector by choice.
So in your opinion does the requirement for it to be class II negate the general requirement for it to be non-combustible (don't have me regs book in front of me to check the number but we all know the one)? It will not be installed in the room with the actual showers, so IP55 or 65 maybe not necessary?

Why would it need to be non combustible? It's not domestic premises.
Interesting one. As far as I can tell it's for a single family use (not on a holiday park, business or such like). So in that sense I would say it's domestic. But then (again as far as I can tell) nobody will be sleeping in it. I say as far as I can tell - have only spoken to the guy on the phone as he was delayed at work when I visited. It is currently in the process of being gutted and re-fitted so can't really tell what's going where ultimately.

It does also raise the question more generally - if someone was converting a container to a domestic house, which reg would prevail?

The wording used in the 18th is "household premises" and no definition is given in the list near the beginning of the regs.
I would define it as a building containing sleeping accommodation, as the principal defining feature.
If the container contained beds, then the CU would need to metal.

The wording used in the 18th is "household premises" and no definition is given in the list near the beginning of the regs.
I would define it as a building containing sleeping accommodation, as the principal defining feature.
If the container contained beds, then the CU would need to metal.
Yes, I did notice that lack of a definition. I'm inclined to agree with your definition. So in this case maybe the plastic will do. It does make me wonder though - if a container contained beds, which would one use?

Reply to Consumer unit for shipping container in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net