Discuss Consumer unit height? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drew35

I have a new build to wire, well a barn conversion so change of use / new. I've just read through document M and it doesn't specifically mention the consumer unit height, however it does say switches and isolators 450-1200mm. But it does drivel on about if something needs precise movement, or something to that affect, like a thermostat, there is an upper height greater than 1200mm that can be used.

I haven't wired a new build in quite a few years, where are they put in new builds now? Are they being fitted flush into walls, or build a cupboard around it?

don't take this as gospel, but i believe that the recommended height for CU's in new builds is 1200 - 1500 millithingies.

I agree with Tel, i am almost sure that it falls under part M. BUT, it is best to fit it somewhere out of sight, close to the supply, and easily accessible. If you fit it at the required height you can bet it will be halfway up some wall right in the way of something else, or it will be an eyesore. Siting of CU's is best left to common sense not rules and regulations. As long as it is safe and readily accessible it doesn't matter too much where it goes.

Cheers................Howard

Ok so all switches and isolators 450-1200mm in new builds, so how come when you look above the bathroom door there is an isolator for the extractor fan?

Ok so all switches and isolators 450-1200mm in new builds, so how come when you look above the bathroom door there is an isolator for the extractor fan?

Down to the building ispector. I always put my fan iso's next the light switch so it can be turned off when someone goes to the toilet in the middle of the night (Tel :D)

Consumer units I still put against the ceiling out of the way of the rugrats.

just done a few new builds and all the houses for private customers were at high level in a sensible place and all ha houses were at low level and look ****e.

Get your cupboard sat nav out and fit it in there

The height ?
1/ Above the reach of kiddies pinkies and
2/ Not too high for granny

That sort of rules out anything sensible
icon6.png

So stick them where the client wants them, and use either argument,granny or kiddie. to justify it with the building inspector guy if he plays up
icon7.png

There is no specific height under part m of the building regs,just needs to have accessability,so not behind a kitchen unit,as long as it can be reached without the needs for stepladders than you can mount them high out of the reach of the munchkins,as said common sense shall prevail,so why dont these interfering bigwigs leave it to our judgement in the first place.

So much confusing information so this afternoon I telephoned my local Building Control Engineer.
There is no specific regulation as to the height of the consumer unit, simply that it must be reasonably accessable. I can't quote other building control officals but my local one says he would not expect it at 1200mm, more like head height, just so long as you can reset the switches without having to climb steps or get a chair to stand on.

Head height for who a midget or the jolly green giant?
and at head height how will someone in a wheel chair ever reset a tripped mcb?
As Des says I just put them where the client asks with in reason.

Last edited:
The IEE "Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations" states that....."A way of satisfying the requirement is to install switches, socket-outlets and 'controls' throughout the dwelling in accessible positions and at a height of between 450mm and 1200mm from the finished floor level". It then goes on to say that......."Because of the sensitivity of circuit breakers, RCCBs or RCBOs fitted to consumer units should be readily accessible".

It is important to remember that Part M was introduced to ensure that new buildings are readily accessible for people with a disability in particularly those in wheelchairs. If a light bulb blows which puts the RCD out then the Consumer Unit needs to be in a position and at a height that a person in a wheelchair can access to reset it. This also means that putting it in the back of the cupboard under the stairs is also not appropriate.

I place all my Consumer Units in new builds at a height of 1200mm unless specifically specified by the customer to be lower. Hager 17th edition boards come with lockable front covers to ensure the kiddies don't fiddle.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about the lockable thingy danny, as long as the key is visible and not in Dads pocket 4 miles up the lane parked up with his secretary in a steamy car, oscillating at 1.3Hertz

Last edited by a moderator:
It is important to remember that Part M was introduced to ensure that new buildings are readily accessible for people with a disability in particularly those in wheelchairs. If a light bulb blows which puts the RCD out then the Consumer Unit needs to be in a position and at a height that a person in a wheelchair can access to reset it.

so how do they go about replacing the light bulb. do we have to fit 5ft pendant drops???

It is important to remember that Part M was introduced to ensure that new buildings are readily accessible for people with a disability in particularly those in wheelchairs. If a light bulb blows which puts the RCD out then the Consumer Unit needs to be in a position and at a height that a person in a wheelchair can access to reset it.

so how do they go about replacing the light bulb. do we have to fit 5ft pendant drops???

Well that's where we come in at £40 per hour :teeth_smile:

that's because the fan isolator is there for maintenance of the fan. it's not expected that the electrician coming to fix/replace the fan will be in a wheelchair.

Reply to Consumer unit height? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net