Discuss consumer unit height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dannysmith

Hi all,
From what I understand the switches of a consumer unit have to be at 1200mm. The old consumer unit is way up high out of reach in the electric / Gas cupboard but the placement of it allows access from the doorway standing on the floor as there is a difference in height of floor levels of 400mm. So... What floor level do I take the 1200mm from. If it is from the lower level it will be knee height at the upper level ready for little fingers or spilled drinks. The upper level will make it too high to comply with regs in the room. Any advice?

Sockets and switches have to be between 450 and 1200 thats for new builds i always put consumer units 1500 this hieght is out of reach of children

Hi all,
From what I understand the switches of a consumer unit have to be at 1200mm. The old consumer unit is way up high out of reach in the electric / Gas cupboard but the placement of it allows access from the doorway standing on the floor as there is a difference in height of floor levels of 400mm. So... What floor level do I take the 1200mm from. If it is from the lower level it will be knee height at the upper level ready for little fingers or spilled drinks. The upper level will make it too high to comply with regs in the room. Any advice?

Really??

Hi all,

completely wrong. go to jail. do not pass go. do not collect £200.

Building regulations for new builds require compliance with Part M (accessibility) that specifies minimum and maximum heights for sockets and switches, but I believe that consumer units are not really intended to be considered here.
The consumer unit should be accessible, as many are not in current use. But it does not have to be used on a daily basis.
There is one periodic inspection document that species that items are accessible for inspection at a height of less than 3m.

I would put it at a sensible height, since it is not a new build part M is not applicable.

that's for accessories though. sockets and light switches. CU should be accessible without the use of steps , so that 85 year old mr. jones can reset a MCB without climbing.

that's for accessories though. sockets and light switches. CU should be accessible without the use of steps , so that 85 year old mr. jones can reset a MCB without climbing.

And not close to the floor , this prevents them from farting when they bend over when they reset the MCB

i would have thought that that situation would lead to a resonant fart. a follow through would not be good , though.

Hi all,
I think you have just won EFs award for the most ridiculous post to date, congratulations you must be very proud, 3 cheers for danny, hip hip-------------------------

It may be a ridiculous post but I'd rather be on the right side of building control when they come to inspect.
Thanks for the replies guys and good advice and humour, God knows i need it

It may be a ridiculous post but I'd rather be on the right side of building control when they come to inspect.
Thanks for the replies guys and good advice and humour, God knows i need it
Good man, you have now gained my respect. you can take a joke and we like that, good on you.

Yeah mine too.

there are many conflicting suggestions about the height of a CU,

Think about houses in a flood plain, they have another rule,

Richard hit the button on the nose, just stick it at a sensible height.

Reply to consumer unit height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net